Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Materials list
eligh
# Posted: 23 Apr 2019 09:01

Hi,

In the 12x24 Homesteaders cabin it appears these are two 2x10 sandwiched and stacked on top of one 4x8 which rests on the concrete pier, correct?

ICC
# Posted: 23 Apr 2019 15:22

Yes and No.

The doubled 2x10 would be called rim joists, sometimes called a band joist. Their main purpose is to keep the ends of the floor joists (the member that butts into the rims at a 90-degree angle) in place. They also transfer the vertical load from the wall to the 4x8 beam.

The rim joists do not need to be doubled in most cases unless there will be a floor for a deck or a porch hung off that side.

The floor joists are usually laid out on top of the support beams first and then a rim joist nailed to the ends of the floor joists. One potential issue with using a doubled set of rims as shown is that leaves only 1/2" for the ends of the floor joists to bear on. For a floor joist as shown the minimum bearing, by the code book, is 0.55" for a 2x10. There is a difference between minimum and better or best.

Are there instructions or explanations that go along with that drawing?

Are you building in an area with inspections?

eligh
# Posted: 23 Apr 2019 16:07

No inspections
I'm in the middle of the country
Half mile deep on my land

No instructions are given with that plan
It was free via Google

https://tinyhousedesign.com/12x24-homesteaders-cabin-free-plans/

eligh
# Posted: 23 Apr 2019 16:22 - Edited by: eligh

Ahhhhh
Reading your post again I understand it even better now and think I should use a single 2x10 rim joist and also 2x10 floor joists so the height of the floor joist will match the height of the rim joist.

This will also give each floor joist more "meat" to rest on the 4x8 beam (which I'm thinking about creating from doubled 2x8 with a equal width piece of half inch ply in between)

They dont use those galvanized floor joist hanger boxes to do this?

No floor or decking will be hung off the edges of this platform but this same platform design will be copied for a deck as well.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Apr 2019 18:20 - Edited by: ICC

Before I comment any further I see you had an earlier post about combining two 12x24 to make a 24x24. If that is still the plan, what about the roof? And an increase in width, with a larger roof, increases pretty much doubles the roof load on the sidewalls --- all the roof load is on the two outermost walls and piers, even with a center row of piers for the floor. Unless you opt for a ridge beam, where instead of a 2x "board" at the rafter peak you have a beam and support posts down to the foundation --- that is a whole other matter though with its own design needs.

So is this for a single 12x24 or a paired up 24x24?

ICC
# Posted: 23 Apr 2019 18:35 - Edited by: ICC

And where is this, or--- What is frost depth? Snow load?

Winds against those long sides can exert large forces, the higher the piers the greater the lever arm with wind on the side. Foundations like slabs or full perimeters concrete or block are better, more stable in the long term.

eligh
# Posted: 23 Apr 2019 20:22

Deep East Texas
Two hours directly east of Dallas
About two inches of snow every other year.
Frost line is said to be ten inches

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/2576507-how-deep-dig-deck-footing-10-a.html

ICC
# Posted: 23 Apr 2019 20:28

What about the size, width especially, or is the proposal laid out in the other post irrelevant now?

eligh
# Posted: 23 Apr 2019 20:35

Quoting: ICC
So is this for a single 12x24 or a paired up 24x24

I wanted a 24x24 and was simply going to sit two of the 12x24 next to each other so essentially it will be two 4x8x24 beams running down the middle but each beam would support only the walls for its half of the structure.

You bring up a good point about the single roof and sidewall pressures that I was not aware of.

eligh
# Posted: 23 Apr 2019 20:43

Quoting: ICC
What about the size, width especially, or is the proposal laid out in the other post irrelevant now?

https://i.ibb.co/V06WLV4/24x24-floor-1.png

Above picture is what I had in mind.
It is simply two of the 12x24 sections I mentioned in this OP that uses the 2x10 rim joists and 4x8x24 beams

eligh
# Posted: 25 Apr 2019 17:23

I talked with the company that moved a house on my neighbor's land (same soil type about a thousand feet away) and they said they simply sat his house on blocks and a pad because we are not in city limits.
I think I'll go with that option as well seeing that my place will be no more than half the size of his place.

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Apr 2019 07:29

In that situation i would double up the rim board because its acting as a main carrying beam. If you had wood posts and moved the pier in and used a separate carrying beam you could use a single rim board. Moving the pier in a bit you could get away with a smaller floor joist but...

Also do you need that thick of sheething?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.