Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cool Roof
sparky30_06
# Posted: 21 Jun 2019 10:58

https://youtu.be/jorrPb6e_i4

has anyone tried a roof design like this?
Going to be building a few wildlife observation blinds and thinking about doing a design similar to this for the roof.

Steve_S
# Posted: 21 Jun 2019 11:10

Yup !

I built my place with a Cool Roof (modded for my climate zone being in northern Canada.) Works wonderfully too ! Much cooler inside in summer (no heat transfer into the building from roof) and much warmer in winter as the snow is not sucking the heat out through the roof.

Based my build off this info here, which is well written and clear. It also applies & works in virtually all climate zones with correct adaption.

http://www.houstoncoolmetalroofs.com/cool-roof-information/cool-roof-design-texas/

mj1angier
# Posted: 21 Jun 2019 11:30

Looks like about what I plan to do with our sheds. 2" foil faces insulation between rafters with 1.5" gap top to bottom between metal roof

sparky30_06
# Posted: 24 Jun 2019 08:22

Thanks guys,
Steve_S
I have looked at that link also, especially being in Houston.

mj1angier
2" foil face insulation does sound good, have to see if i can find that down here.

I am thinking a radiant barrier, on top of the rafters, then spacing the roof up another 1.5", then half way down the height of the rafter a bubble foil then one last layer of bubble foil right before the ceiling.

creeky
# Posted: 24 Jun 2019 11:20

I've built 3 of these things. They work great. You do have to be "critter" aware. For some reason my last build was very attractive to bats. So I had to screen off the openings.

I didn't mind the bats except for the noise. They would wake up at midnight and often started a dance party around 4 a.m. Annoying.

Cute to see them tucked into the metal roof tho.

Two thumbs up on the foil face insulation. It really helps. There's some research on this somewhere. If I remember correctly the idea originally came from a guy in Africa trying to cool homes there. Folks were cooking outdoors as their homes were too hot.

Good luck. Oh. And search here. THere've been lots of discussion on this topic.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 25 Jun 2019 08:45

creeky
Thanks!!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.