Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Tstud Framing System
KelVarnsen
# Posted: 26 Jun 2019 15:11

I hate to create a post for a specific product, given the fact that I just voiced my opinion about another forum member spamming too often. However, someone sent me some info on this TStud Structural Insulated Framing System that I thought would be very useful to small cabin builders. If I was to build a new cabin or bunkie from scratch and insulation was important I'd definitely consider going with this product.

"The Tstud is a new engineered building product that uses two lumber members, an internal truss system, and a frothed-in-place closed-cell foam providing a 99% complete thermal break through the wall assembly. With just ONE product, the Tstudâ„¢ raises the bar on 5 major construction concerns: thermal breaks, structural strength, wind loads, sound transmission and fire/life safety.

Tstud solves the number one nemesis of the construction industry: How to “cost effectively” stop the transfer of outdoor climatic heat or cold from affecting the interior of a structures’ ambient room temperature. "

ICC
# Posted: 26 Jun 2019 15:42 - Edited by: ICC

Maybe someday. In the meantime, if you use a layer or two of sheet XPS foam over the exterior you can also rid yourself of the effects of thermal bridging from studs as well as air seal the envelope. Those materials you can buy almost anywhere whereas the t-stud people only list 4 dealers in the entire USA, as of today with permission to use not quite ready in Canada.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Jun 2019 15:46

Those have to be very very expensive.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 26 Jun 2019 15:51

Quoting: Brettny
Those have to be very very expensive.

From their FAQ: "We’re hoping for a retail price to be around $1.75 to $2 a foot for studs and we’re hoping to be $2.25ish for plate material. But at the end of the day we should be about the same price as LVL studs and in the future our goal is to be about the same pricing as LSL material."

NorthRick
# Posted: 26 Jun 2019 18:17

Quoting: KelVarnsen
From their FAQ: "We’re hoping for a retail price to be around $1.75 to $2 a foot for studs and we’re hoping to be $2.25ish for plate material. But at the end of the day we should be about the same price as LVL studs and in the future our goal is to be about the same pricing as LSL material."

That's $16 per 8-foot stud. Even here in Alaska I can buy a 2x6x8' stud for about $5. That's a substantial difference.

snobdds
# Posted: 2 Jul 2019 17:02

This is going after the SIP and ICF building crowd. The T-studs replace both systems with a much simpler and cheaper way to build. The SIP and ICF builds turn out to be almost all custom because of wall thickness. No standard door or window will fit a SIP or ICF and framed house. Trim work is very extensive and expensive. However a T-Stud will accommodate standard building materials.

It's a great idea and I think it will catch on in a few years. However like ICC said, foaming the outside of the house and spray foam does about the same thing.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.