Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / HOME-FLEX poly pipe for propane and natural gas
ICC
# Posted: 7 Aug 2019 18:19

I helped a friend run a new propane supply line using Home-Flex brand poly pipe and fittings. Several years ago we ran a 3/4" black iron line coated for underground use, to the same outbuilding. That was many pieces of threaded iron plus assorted fittings; some 45 and 90 degree elbows and straight couplers.

Today we dug the trench by hand and installed the one length of 3/4" poly pipe. A coupler fitting at each end us a riser elbow. No other fittings required. We had a 100 foot roll. $45. Two couplers @$21 each and two risers @ $50 each.

I'll attach a couple of pictures if I can. Sometimes I have trouble using the phone for image uploads on low data bandwidth. One will show the coupler and parts bag, the other two the riser ends which provide transition from the buried poly to above ground iron fittings. This poly is rated underground only. My guess is rodents could get a problem as could something sharp or hot.

He needed a second supply run as the new propane fired gorge would have drawn too much if the shop heater or on demand water heater decided to kick in at the same time.
Coupler
Coupler
Riser
Riser
Riser again
Riser again

ICC
# Posted: 7 Aug 2019 18:23

Here is a link to a HD page showing one of the risers. There are several sizes from the 3/4 we used up to 2"

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

HOME-FLEX 1 in. IPS Poly to 1 in. MIP Underground Meter Riser Bent
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FLEX-1-in-IPS-Poly-to-1-in-MIP-Underground-Meter-Ris er-Bent-18-440-010/300867551

Easy stuff to work with and nice not having so many intermediate couplers and elbows. We had a curvy path to follow

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 7 Aug 2019 18:32

Hi ICC, is this product allowed for in-home use, and does it require special tools for install? I've never seen it before. Thanks!

ICC
# Posted: 7 Aug 2019 19:21

It is underground, direct burial only.

You can run the stainless steel, corrugated stuff inside walls etc. Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

HOME-FLEX 1/2 in. CSST x 25 ft. Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HOME-FLEX-1-2-in-CSST-x-25-ft-Corrugated-Stainless-Steel- Tubing-11-00525/203073939
But to bury the CSST needs to be encased in non metallic tubing... pvc conduit.

No special tools required for the IPS Poly.

We switched to the black iron to go thru the wall into the shop and then a pre-made S/S flex connector to the forge. The other end was tied into a manifold on the low pressure side of the second regulator at the underground tank riser that was already there.

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 11 Aug 2019 11:36

Thanks for the info ICC!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.