Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / “Green” pine paneling
Sprinkler Guy
# Posted: 20 Sep 2019 21:39

Has anyone use green pine as interior paneling? If so how has it worked out, was there much shrinking?

ICC
# Posted: 20 Sep 2019 22:02

There will be about 5% decrease in width when drying down to moisture content of about 12 to 15%.

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 20 Sep 2019 22:30

We used 1X6 pine in our place, it did shrink but not as much as I thought it might. Have a look at this video if you want to see what we did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_RTL8lbQjc

Sprinkler Guy
# Posted: 21 Sep 2019 06:48

Thanks, looks good!

KinAlberta
# Posted: 21 Sep 2019 09:27

If it’s nailed green, does it split and crack as it dries?

ICC
# Posted: 21 Sep 2019 10:00

If it is T&G you only nail on the tongue side.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:46

I used green pine 1"x10". I ended up with pretty good gaps. Been meaning to fill them. The moisture control in the building is really nice. Even 4 years later people remark on how calm the building makes them feel and how great the air smells.
Pretty much the first thing when folks (I airbnb) enter my winter bedroom they go, "wow, that looks nice." then "the air smells so fresh."
Nothing has split or cracked.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:52

Maybe obvious, but if you go with narrower boards (1x6 vs 1x10), the shrinkage is the same percentage, but the gaps will be smaller because the boards are smaller. Of course, it also means more pieces to nail up.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.