Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Yet Another Vapour Barrier Question
KelVarnsen
# Posted: 7 Oct 2019 20:35 - Edited by: KelVarnsen

I've been back and forth a dozen time. To install vapour barrier or not, that is the question. I'm now finally getting to the point where I have to decide. I've just put in new windows, new plywood sheathing, exterior foam. I'll be putting on wood siding and finishing the interior with Rockwool insulation and pine T&G paneling.

I've attached a couple of pics. I'd like to hear a few of your expert opinions before finally buttoning up the interior. As always, thanks so much for any help given.
Exterior
Exterior
Interior
Interior

ICC
# Posted: 7 Oct 2019 21:06

And your location or climate zone is....? That is very important when debating about vapour barriers.

ICC
# Posted: 7 Oct 2019 21:17 - Edited by: ICC

oh, I see your profile lists Ontario as the location. In that case, I believe that means without question that you need a vapour barrier someplace in the wall and ceiling. I also note the mention of exterior foam insulation. That foam can be the vapour barrier IF it is thick enough. If not thick enough the inside face of the foam can be too cold and result in condensation inside the wall. The farther north the thicker the foam. In that case, an interior vapour barrier can be detrimental.

Princelake
# Posted: 7 Oct 2019 21:22

My vote is for vapour barrier!

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 7 Oct 2019 21:25

Sorry. Meant to post my location. South-Central Ontario. Been at the cottage at -40C and +40C. So a wide range of temperatures and humidity.

Steve_S
# Posted: 8 Oct 2019 06:32

Ontario Building Codes, Vapour Barrier section: http://www.buildingcode.online/1921.html
It's all online.

In a nutshell nice & simple really.

If your using a "breathing" insulation such as Fiberglass, Rockwool, Wool, blown insulation, you will need a 6 Mil Vapour barrier, which should be sealed to the members and with Accoustiseal & tape where the plastic laps.

If you are using Rigid or Sprayed Foam, or another "non-breathable" type of insulation an additional barrier is un-necessary as the material itself becomes the barrier. NOTE: Installing a barrier in such a construction can actually create issues with moulds & mildews. (CMHC has health advisories on that) ** Non Foil-Faced ISO is Breathable, Foil Faced ISO is Not Breathable.

If you are wrapping the exterior of your home with foam panel insulation as many are doing, there are other guidelines to follow to prevent a "Sick House" situation from arising. Sadly, too many were not aware of such issues and have had to effect major work to correct the resulting problems.

BTW: I used Foams extensively in my construction and worked closely with building inspectors here (in Ontario) who had limited familiarity with my type of build so it was a learning experience for them as well.

Keep in mind that the Internet is full of opinions & ideas but always refer to the Local, Regional & National rules, regulations and codes. CMHC as well as NRC have extended detailed info on such issues and should be a baseline reference.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 8 Oct 2019 07:55

Thanks for the info Steve_S. I find the Ontario Building Code online about as clear as mud. It's nice to hear an explanation in plain terms.

Steve_S
# Posted: 8 Oct 2019 08:17

I hear ya on the codes, written by bureaucrats and rechecked by lawyers.... Unfortunately, I have not come across a book like "The Electrical Codes Simplified" for the Building codes in this province... probably too daunting I'm sure and apparently the building codes are in process of overhaul for next year … Ohhh boy....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.