Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Raised pillar foundation plans/help
LilGorilla
# Posted: 25 Oct 2019 16:29

Hey, so I'm new here so quick intro. I live in Northern California but have 10 acres near Northern Pyramid Lake in Nevada that my Dad gave me.

It's High Desert, fairly dry, little to no snow, some rain, easy to dig in ground.

I want to build a 16x16 or 20x20 cabin, no rooms, just an open space to store things, hangout in when it's cold or windy.

I'm trying to find the best way or plans on how to do a raised pillar foundation. I've been searching this forum and the internet and haven't really found a place to answer my questions.

Any help would be appreciated. -Jeff

frankpaige
# Posted: 25 Oct 2019 22:30

I did my cabin on pillars. 12 x 16. If? I did another, I would rethink doing that.
Why pillars? If the ground is easy to dig in, do you expect any issues? Keeping it close to the ground might alleviate cold coming up from underneath?
Not sure on other's thoughts on your cabin size w/o more of a permanent foundation?
But. I do wish you success in your cabin build. That was part of the excitement. Planning,revisions and final product. Enjoy the process.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Oct 2019 08:21

That small i would just build on skids up on cement blocks.

LilGorilla
# Posted: 27 Oct 2019 13:35

frankpaige

I do get rain up there, and it's a really remote location, closest town is an hour away. I was just thinking the pillar foundation would be the best, get it up off the ground a bit so when it rains, i have nothing to worry about. And that way I can get the cabin level.

Brettny
Do you have an example? I'm open to ideas, i'd like to start building next May.

LilGorilla
# Posted: 27 Oct 2019 13:37

I'm still looking for a site to buy plans from, and look at ideas.

OffGridDeveloper
# Posted: 28 Oct 2019 03:12

www.cabinplans123.com

OffGridDeveloper
# Posted: 28 Oct 2019 03:13

Google tiny house design to ,or tiny house foundation,YouTube is pretty helpful and u can see it no need to pay for plans

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 08:12

An example? Lay concrete blocks down flat, put 6x6 horizontal on them. Now put your floor joists across the 6x6 then your floor decking.

fitzpatt
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 08:26

I set my 24x24 on pillars and it worked out well. I am in a colder climate (Ontario), and had to dig down below the frost line (5 feet). I dug trenches with an excavator and set big foot forms in them, backfilled, placed rebar inside them and them pumped concrete into them. It was a big job, but it turned out very well. Not sure how deep you would need to go in your climate, but it is worth exploring.

beachman
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 09:44

We put our cottage on cement blocks using patio squares as a base. 8 years and counting with no problems. Stack the blocks with the open ends up for strength. No need to cement unless you feel the need to overcompensate. Swam in that lake as a kid - beautiful area. Supposed to be prehistoric fish - might be a tale?

AKfisher
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 12:32 - Edited by: AKfisher

16x24 with an 8' porch/loft. These are helical piers, or screw piles. They are set below frost line. I like to be up about 1-2' off the ground, it helps with snow in the winter time as we get around 6-10' of snow.
Foundation
Foundation
Cabin
Cabin

sparky30_06
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 15:12

http://www.small-cabin.com/forum/6_6749_0.html

here is the 10 x 20 I built on an elevated skid. Has worked out great for me.

Going 16 to 20 feet wide you will have to size your rafter correctly of get trusses.

I'm getting ready to start planning a 16 x 20 clear span for a buddies lease for a gathering area and planning on using trusses and a similar foundation design.
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1562.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG

LilGorilla
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 18:19 - Edited by: LilGorilla

Brettny
Ah, ok. So whats the best way to secure the joists ontop of the 6x6s? That area can get some strong winds.

Can I just do 4x8 skids and attach the joists to those?

LilGorilla
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 18:24

fitzpatt
I don't think i need to go deeper than 1.5 to 2 feet. it gets cold there but doesn't freeze.

I was thinking of doing sono tubes with PT 6x6 in it to give me height and to be able to cut the 6x6s to level the foundation if need be.

LilGorilla
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 18:26

beachman
Yeah, i'm worried about high winds and water, would lke to be a little off the ground and more stable if it gets wet.

Yeah, the lake is amazing and I've heard the same thing about prehistoric fish. Are you from the Reno area?

LilGorilla
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 18:27 - Edited by: LilGorilla

AKfisher
That is damn near what I am looking to build. Where did you get your plans? More pics?

LilGorilla
# Posted: 29 Oct 2019 18:28

sparky30_06
Are you worried of the foundation shifting? Looks great.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 30 Oct 2019 06:56

Quoting: LilGorilla
Are you worried of the foundation shifting?

Don't have to worry about frost in South Texas, eventually it will sink and settle as the ground moves. All the older house are built on pier and beam and need to get leveled every few years. When the time comes I'll get under it with a water level, bottle jack and some shim boards.

i also built it with the idea in mind that if I ever need to move it i can drag it up on a trailer and go.

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Oct 2019 09:54

Skid side depends on distance between posts/foundation blocks owlr what ever else your useing to support it. I would use something wider that 4in though.

Are you getting this inspected?

LilGorilla
# Posted: 30 Oct 2019 12:57

Brettny
I've changed up my plan, going to do a 16x16, 4x6 skids (3), and then 2x8 rim joists and joists. I'll support the skids with 4 piers per skid.

No inspection, just a small place to get out of the elements and store stuff up there since it's 3 hours from my house.

beachman
# Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:44

Lived just outside of Reno for a summer. Sparks. Swam in the Truckee a few ties too. A lot of history there.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.