Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Looking for some 12 x 16 Cabin Construction Ideas and Tips
Motokev27
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 10:23

I'm planning to build a 12 x 16 Cabin out at my camp in New Hampshire. Right now all I have is an 8 x 12 base with three walls, which attached to my camper. My plan is to use that base and extender is 4 feet. I have a woodstove already and roofing materials. I would like the cabin to have an 8 x 12 loft in it, but other than that I'm not really quiet sure. I'm not sure the size roof pitch I should do either. Basically I'm trying to build a low budget cabin to stay in on the weekends year round in nh, no electricity or water either. Any tips would be great!

Motokev27
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 10:25

*extend it 4 feet

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 13:50

We have a 10x12 cabin w/loft. The loft is 10ft. wide. With a 12/12 pitch this gives us ~5ft. height in the loft. We have found that this is real workable. If your loft is 12' wide then some simple math can help find the correct pitch for a given height.

Assuming a gable roof. For a 5ft. height you would have a 5/6 pitch, same as 10/12 pitch. Your pitch is just twice what you want the height of your loft to be.

(h*2)/12

Go to the 'Member's Projects and Photos' section of the forum. There are a number of 12x16 projects that you can get some ideas from.

Rob_O
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 14:27

It would probably be easier to mirror your existing structure than to add 4' to 2 sides

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 20 Mar 2011 14:57

Quoting: Rob_O
easier to mirror your existing structure

Agree! Adding wings to your existing structure would be difficult. Do you have some pictures or possibly a sketch of what you have?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.