Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Cabin is built, now for the next project. Question about Gangways
MikeOnBear
# Posted: 28 Nov 2019 18:25

I have the permits in hand, but have to finish by spring. Have to have some bank-work done on moving water. Routinely fluctuates about 10-12' year round due to TVA dropping water 4-6' during winter. A little higher maybe 2 times in last 60-70 years. Likely will dig back, and put down wash layer/lining and top with rip rap. Installing used pontoon as a dock. The last question is the gangway. I'm guessing 16'-20' gangway will be required. Going to do edge work and dock first to know exactly. Anyone have leads on how to build or a reasonably priced kit alternative? Doing this in NW Alabama if anyone is familiar with experienced, local fab shops?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Nov 2019 23:51

I have no idea what you just said really??? So I am unable to help.

Brettny
# Posted: 29 Nov 2019 06:58

There asking about a gangway that connects a floating dock to land.

12' drop is quite a big drop. Im sure that wont happen very often but if you can make the gang way pined to the shore with more than one location to put it.

Even with a 20' long gang way and 12' drop your going to be close to 40* angle on your gang way. Thats not walkable.

Use the rafter calculator and play with the numbers you can figure out rise, board total length. https://www.blocklayer.com/roof/raftereng.aspx

MikeOnBear
# Posted: 30 Nov 2019 10:14

Thanks Brettney.
Typically winter pool is 208' ish. (Ft above sea level) Summer pool is 214'. The bank has another 6' or so above summer pool, so roughly at 220'. Heavy rains and it can fill but rarely overflows (although it did overflow a good bit last spring).

Will not be using when water is above 215'. That only happens after heavy rain and the water is too fast and muddy for good fishing. Was thinking of pinning on the bank around 216'-217' and let the gangway pivot both ways. That keeps my angle lower. Just have to be wary of drift flow in high water.

I'll look at the link you provided. Ready to install and relax

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Nov 2019 13:59

Could you do the gang way parallel to the bank. It could keep the dock closer to the shore.

You could build stairs into the water and every other one could be a spot to pin the gangway.

MikeOnBear
# Posted: 30 Nov 2019 16:38

That's a thought, just not sure it would work here. Have to a certain distance from shore anyway unless I want the dock grounded when the water is low, although I don't know what that would really hurt (except less chance of freeze if the water its in is flowing).

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Dec 2019 07:13

You could angle it out at a 45* angle even. Nothing saying it has to be 90* from shore?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.