Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Loft in 24x24 Cabin
AdkAlpi
# Posted: 19 Jan 2020 15:44

I've already designed my first floor layout but just curious as to what I need to build a loft. I will have a 6x24 loft over the porch and I plan on continuing it into the cabin for a total of 22'x24'. I was thinking having a beam round down the center and ending about 17' in with a support and running joists across resting on the outer walls and center beam.I can upload a design of what I'm thinking if the above doesn't make sense. Just looking for suggestions.

Brettny
# Posted: 19 Jan 2020 16:13

A center beam to support the middle of the loft floor joists would be best.

Price out 24' lumber at a local lumber yard. Usually the good ones will have 2x12x 20' and 24' in stock.

AdkAlpi
# Posted: 19 Jan 2020 17:02

Quoting: Brettny
# Posted: 19 Jan 2020 16:13
Reply Quote

A center beam to support the middle of the loft floor joists would be best.

Price out 24' lumber at a local lumber yard. Usually the good ones will have 2x12x 20' and 24' in stock.

Thanks Brett. I have one about 20 mins away over in Carthage that I'll work with. Just wanted to make sure my idea made sense. I'm a osp engineer not a civil or structural engineer so I'm always learning.

Nickels
# Posted: 3 Feb 2020 10:13

Do you have any pictures of the build yet? I am in the process of a build now. I have a loft on the inside back wall. I think its 8'x24'. I am almost done with the loft but the snow has made me take the winter off. I can't get material to the cabin. Share your layout or some pictures. I enjoy looking at what other people are doing. Especially in the same size cabin as mine. My last build video shows how I put my loft up. But it sounds like your layout is different then mine.
Loft
Loft

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.