Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Thoughts on this deckblock sketchup
lburners
# Posted: 2 Feb 2020 16:12

Just messing around with sketchup. Excuse the imperfections. Thinking about doing a 12x16. Trying to avoid piers as I am almost certain its ledge a couple of feet down. Surface is slightly un-level so was hoping I could get level with 4x4 posts in deck blocks. Would likely look into some crossbracing between posts. Looking for some feedback if this is ridiculous or viable.
Skitch.png
Skitch.png

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Feb 2020 19:11

Didn't say beam size or floor joist size. How you attach the vertical posts to the beam really matters even with only 8in of vertical beam.

I would not use 4x4s for the posts. Use 6x6 and notch in your beam.

Rickkrus
# Posted: 2 Feb 2020 19:52

I did a 16x24 this way. No movement or settling in three years.

lburners
# Posted: 2 Feb 2020 19:58 - Edited by: lburners

Was thinking 2-2x10 with sandwiched 3/4" for the beams and 2x8 or 2x6 for floor joists. I would prefer the 6x6 but not sure I can find the deck blocks that fit that size easily.
I hadn't worked out the beam to post fastening. The thought crossed my mind of overlapping a 2 by on both sides and screwing or perhaps a 3/4" "T" connector plate. I see there is plenty of metal wood ties to choose from. So that might be an option?
Dang Rickkrus a 16x24 thats decent sized. Think even a 12x16 is going to be a task for me.

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Feb 2020 09:26

Why use deck blocks at all? Why not concrete pavers/solid blocks? Deck blocks offer next to no real lateral load support.

Deck blocks or skids with blocks I would use skids

lburners
# Posted: 3 Feb 2020 10:10

Deck blocks were just to make the leveling easier. I did want to get it off the ground a little to prevent animals making it a home. I shall consider the block route though.

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Feb 2020 16:05

Deck blocks won't really make it any easier to level. Your still having to cut a piece of wood to the proper height to level. You can do this with patio blocks and pieces of wood or more patio blocks.

12x12 patio blocks are normally on sale for $1 each at Lowes and HD.

NorthRick
# Posted: 3 Feb 2020 16:24

My cabin is 12x16 and on deck blocks. I got the kind with the threaded adjustable brackets with the U shaped top that a 4x4 fits into. Each post is braced to the floor. It has held up just fine and we get some pretty good snow loads at times.

If I were you Iburners, I'd skip the center beam. It is easy enough to span 12' with normal 2x floor joists.

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Feb 2020 17:39

You can skip the center beam on 12' span but you should use 2x8 or 2x10 for floor joists.

I have a shed/cabin with 2x6 floor joists and 8' span between beams. It's very bouncy, loud and the floor moves a lot. You can also bring in the two outside beams a bit to make the span in the center shorter. They don't need to be right under the walls.

Skimping on what is basicly your foundation can lead to headaches later and with that only 1ft off the ground you really need to get everything right the first time unless your foingnti jack it up, repair and drop it back down.

lburners
# Posted: 3 Feb 2020 21:15 - Edited by: lburners

Thank you all for the input. Sounds great to skip the middle support beam and very happy to hear it is ok to push the beams in a little. Was wondering about that. Think it will look better and keep the bases out of any rain runoff. So whats pushing them in a ft on each side for a 10ft span? Was originally thinking it would be best to keep them in line to support the wall/roof weight but good to hear i can sneak them in a bit.
Noted on the 8"+ floor joists.

Brettny
# Posted: 4 Feb 2020 08:42

With 8in joists 12in would be fine to me. I think code is pulling in the depth of the floor joist but are u building to code?

lburners
# Posted: 4 Feb 2020 08:56

Depth of the floor joist will work. No building codes in my jurisdiction but the prefer to keep it safe and sound.

Rickkrus
# Posted: 4 Feb 2020 17:16

I used three 12x8s glued with loctite premium and nailed together for the beams. 12x8s for joists. I put the deck blocks on top of 12x12 patio pavers.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.