Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Walls - triangulating insulation, moisture, economy and aesthetics for light use in cold climate
Hangblague
# Posted: 18 Feb 2020 12:39

I've been reading a lot of great threads here on this topic, but I still remain unsure of a best wall insulation approach for my design.

I get the importance of absorbing the knowledge on the dynamics of heat loss and resulting vapour condensation in the wrong places. But I am trying to figure out something adequate for a simple situation. The cabin will only get occasional use. There would be weekends here and there with some sweaty bodies and maybe brewing some coffee on occasion, but no interior plumbing. Is that really enough for me to require vapour barriers? Note that I'll have a wood stove pipe exiting the ceiling.

I'd like to have exposed 2x6 studs on the inside and use them for shelving, etc. I don't plan on gyprock. I could compromise and have a couple of inches of rigid insulation on the inside covered up still between studs but that seems like a lot of work.

The alternative would seem to be rigid boards fastened on the outside. In this case I would sheath the studs with boards for interior aesthetics (and the same with the ceiling) and then sandwich the insulation on the outside of the walls. That seems like my preferred approach, but seems unusual based on the forums here.

My final consideration is that I don't think I need R- 30 million. It can get very cold where I am, but I'd rather dress for it than pretend my cabin is a city structure promising city efficiency. All I need is to slow the heat loss from a wood stove to a reasonable degree. Is there a simple compromise?

Fanman
# Posted: 18 Feb 2020 12:55

I don't have any insulation, just half logs on the outside, studs, and beaded plywood paneling on the inside. I guess the cabin is drafty enough that moisture isn't an issue.

LittleDummerBoy
# Posted: 18 Feb 2020 20:14

I put 1" rigid foam between the studs 20 years ago. No problems yet. The foil facing made it very bright inside.

fiftyfifty
# Posted: 18 Feb 2020 21:18

Your plan of rigid foam insulation on the outside of the boards seems fine to me. Since for aesthetics you are not using sheet goods, you may want to lay the wall boards at a slant to prevent racking like in this example: http://tinyhousefor.us/small-house-spotlight/daughter-builds-incredible-hidden-retrea t/

Brettny
# Posted: 19 Feb 2020 07:08

If your using foam board you don't need vapor barrier. Just tape and spray foam all the seams.

Just occasional use and if it didn't get to cold where you live you may not need wall insulation.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.