Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Balsam Fir for Woodshed?
rpe
# Posted: 11 Mar 2020 13:00

I dropped a few ~8" dia Balsam firs last weekend. I'm planning to build a woodshed this season, and thought perhaps these could be used for structural posts and beams. The basic design would be post-and-beam style, perhaps 16' x 6' overall dimensions, steel shed roof on purlins with generous overhang.

A local said to just use pressure treated posts, as the Balsams rot quickly, although he did say if kept dry they'd probably be OK. I plan to de-bark, and perhaps rough-mill flats on a couple sides to assist in fixing the side planking. I'd prefer to use wood from the site if possible, just to add to character of the building. Any thoughts on suitability, or advice on protecting from rot without requiring annual maintenance?

The site is rolling bedrock in this area, so I plan on standing these posts on short concrete piers, with a pressure-treated wood 'floor' in a couple steps to clear the bedrock.

Brettny
# Posted: 12 Mar 2020 08:26

I would use PT for anything structural that contacts the ground. 3pt or any wood for a floor isn't needed. Gravel works well for a wood shed floor, or pallets but you may have to replace them every few years.

You can make any other part of the shed from the wood you cut.

rpe
# Posted: 12 Mar 2020 10:59

Thanks for the reply. The ground is very rolling bedrock in the area. I need to put a floor of some type in the shed just to level it enough for stacking. I’m hoping to keep the posts off the rock at least 6” via short sonotube piers.

snobdds
# Posted: 13 Mar 2020 00:21

For a wood shed, they'll work. Peel them and leave them full size. Just notch the top to accept roof material. Let them dry a little then apply your favorite water proofing. Your on the right track with large overhangs.

old243
# Posted: 14 Mar 2020 10:32

My experience with our local balsam is , They tend to mature at about 12 inch, then start to heart rot. Your area might be different. Then the ants like to work in them. Locally spruce or pine would be more suitable. But should be debarked or squared. Personely I would use pressure treated on the vertical supports. Or any place that would be moist. Good luck old 243

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.