Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Water Pump Questions
spencerin
# Posted: 16 Mar 2020 23:58

I'm soon putting in a below-ground 500g cistern for drinking water. My contractor talked about 2 options - 1) an in-tank pump that runs when it senses the pressure change and 2) a pump-and-pressure-tank combo inside the cabin.

I'm leaning towards 1 because space inside the cabin is limited and I'd also rather have any pump noise outside the cabin.
And it's probably cheaper. However, 2 is probably more reliable in the long-run, and I could simply plug it into an outlet.

Has anyone used option 1 for a long period of time and been happy with it? Any pros or cons I'm missing for either? And, do they make pump-and-pressure-tank combos that you can install inside the cistern (hybrid of the 2)?

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 08:55

I would do a combination of both options. Small submersible pump with flow inducer sleeve in the tank with cycle stop valve and 5 gallon pressure tank and switch top side. You should wire a float switch or cycle sensor to protect the pump from running dry.

ICC
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 09:20

If there will be a need to winterize the entire system I believe it will be easier if you use an inside tank with an RV pump supplying pressure water to the points of use. Use a in the cistern pump to pump water to the inside tank as needed. IF the cistern pump has NO foot valve, that is does NOT have a backflow preventer, then after the cistern pump is turned off the water will flow back and here will be no pipes to freeze. I have used Rule inline bilge pumps for this for over 10 years at a remote cabin I have.

spencerin
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 11:49

I need to plan for freezing, so I would prefer to submerge the whole setup. Any specific brands or models anyone would recommend? It's not a high-use application, but I need to deliver to 2 sinks, a shower, and a toilet. Rise would be from the bottom of the tank to the top of the first floor.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 17 Mar 2020 12:57

If you use a standard submersible pump in the tank you could remove the check valve from it and install one with a bleeder just before the pressure tank. In the winter just open bleeder and water will drop back into cistern.

SpyingOnMyKeystrokes
# Posted: 18 Mar 2020 00:24 - Edited by: SpyingOnMyKeystrokes

Quoting: spencerin
I need to plan for freezing

I'm just starting to research water storage. If the 500g tank is buried, can it be placed entirely below frost depth, and could the piping to the cabin also be run below frost depth inside of the foundation, with an insulated sleeve that also extends below frost depth?

My main question is, where will freezing be an issue?

If a water feed comes up through a crawl space, will the air in that area typically remain above freezing (when cabin is in use)?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.