Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / flooring advice
braveap1973
# Posted: 26 Mar 2011 16:35

We are the new owners of a small cabin on a lake in Northern Michigan. Just ripped out the old, dirty carpet. Now we need to replace the flooring. The walls are knotty pine throughout. The cabin is built on a slab. I don't want to replace with carpet. Trying to decide between tile and laminate wood flooring. I don't want to diminish the look of the knotty pine by putting laminate down but I'm worried about the ceramic being too "cold" feeling. Please give some advice, thoughts. Thanks.

rayyy
# Posted: 26 Mar 2011 17:18

Sound's very nice,Braveap.I too,am stuck on this problem.If you go with laminate,it usually go down on a cushion of foam liner which would give you a little insulation from the cold of the concrette.But on the other hand ceramic is much tuffer and easy maintenance.Both look great and there is so much on the market to choose from.I still think I'm going with ceramic tile.You can always throw down some areial rugs on the commonly traveled areas.I like the look of slate tiles that are a natural stone,too but there are so many nice ceramic tile also.I hate to have to resorte to,,,enee-menee-minee-moe lol. :-)

Just
# Posted: 26 Mar 2011 17:33

we had a 24x24 cabin with a cement floor we put laminate in 1\2 , and ceramic in 1\2 .. the ceramic developed cracks werever the cement did the laninate was fine !! make sure you use good heavy water proofing and foam under it . we also did not like the wood grain look !! if we had to do it again we would use the laminate that looks like ceramic,, comes in 12 in widths now , not then !!

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 26 Mar 2011 19:43

There are some tile/slate look laminates out now that might give you the look and be easy to install. Be sure to vapor seal the laminate if over cement.

Some at HomeDepot:
http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Laminate-Flooring-Laminate-Tile-Stone-Planks/h_d1/N -5yc1vZbejq/h_d2/Navigation?catalogId=10053&Nu=P_PARENT_ID

hattie
# Posted: 26 Mar 2011 21:40

We have laminate...I think it is called "Alure" and it is tough stuff. It is 100% waterproof as well which is really nice. There are many styles of it, but ours looks like barn boards. We use it in the Motel because it gets really abused with hunters dragging their gear over it and lots of mud and snow. The few scratches we have had, I fixed up with a permanent sharpie marker and rub it with a dry paper towel. Voila - no marks. *S*

braveap1973
# Posted: 28 Mar 2011 07:35

Ended up buying rigid vinyl. Looks like cereamic, goes down easy with no mess.

My cabin is high and dry, do I still need vapor barrier under vinyl?

Just
# Posted: 28 Mar 2011 09:08

I think not if u use the right glue..

andrewmiller
# Posted: 8 Apr 2011 07:08

Both are a good option in my opinion. However laminate flooring might be a better option. It depends on the kind of flooring required and what will suit that particular area. I recently had hardwood flooring installed from san francisco hardwood floors.

braveap1973
# Posted: 8 Apr 2011 11:45

The product we used was "Alure" as well. I'm a little concerned about the self adhesive strips holding up in extreme cold, but then again there isn't a product i know of that is perfect for anything extreme.

Now we have to decide what flooring to put on sunporch which is also the main entrance.

I'll post some pics as soon as I get to my laptop.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.