Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Foundation
doglvr
# Posted: 25 Mar 2020 12:37 - Edited by: doglvr

Looking to see if this is an acceptable way to build a foundation for my 30X26 cabin? The cabin I am building will be built on an extremely sloped lot that has just enough of a footprint to build the cabin before it drops 60 degrees down a steep slope. Currently I am thinking of pouring a 6" slab on an abundant granite/bedrock area and attaching a 4' (or maybe slightly higher) pressure treated wall to get to sub floor level. I need this much elevation above the slab in order to run my sewer line into the inlet of the Septic tank as the tank will be elevated a minimum of 4 feet above the slab (no other place to put the tank) This will also serve as nice crawlspace for storage and easy access to plumbing. I have been told that even a pressure treated wall on concrete will rot over time plus with the extra snow in and around the wall might be a concern. I thought that covering the 4 foot PT exposed wall with advantech. Would this be a good idea? I was going to go with sonotubes but too much granite to set the tubes.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Mar 2020 13:44

You want to make basically a PT retaining wall and rest a cabin on it? Don't do this. It's way cheaper to build it right.

Baring all codes you can drill into the bedrock and bolt on post anchors. Concrete epoxy is pretty cheap and very very strong.

And yes PT on concrete or rock will still rot. This is why they make galvanized stand off post brackets for things like 4x4s and 6x6 posts.

doglvr
# Posted: 25 Mar 2020 13:55

Great idea! What about using the post brackets on the slab with 6x6 posts? Yes I realize the slab will be more expensive but I like the fact that I will have a nice level crawlspace and storage. Also if the posts do start to rot they could be easily replaced.

ICC
# Posted: 25 Mar 2020 14:09 - Edited by: ICC

If you can pour a concrete slab, why not pour a concrete stem wall? Or build a wall with concrete blocks, tied to the slab with rebar and the voids filled with concrete?

For that size of structure, what is the plan for the floor construction? The next level up. How does that get supported?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.