Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Fixed Roof Ladder?
Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 09:50

Our chimney is doing well after the neighbors helped us turn it around so the creosote would not run out of the joints. Now it burns up inside. We continue to use a chemical to help crystallize the creosote so it will dislodge from the pipe when tapped and fall back down to the stove. We took the unused rear pipe exit cover off a week ago and were surprised how much junk had fallen down as we periodically tapped the chimney throughout the winter. As we were cleaning the shelf out below where the chimney exits the stove we continued to tap and got some... not a lot... of black crystallized creosote as well. Most of what falls down is a reddish color due to the chemical we use I think. No chimney fires but a really good hot fire every morning.

Subject.... as the pipe just drops straight from the ceiling to the stove, cleaning it from inside would make a horrible mess. So I need to access the roof. Does anyone... in snow country.... have a permanently attached ladder on their roof. Ours is metal and a 12/12 pitch. The ladder would have to be on the north side as there are solar panels mounted across the south side. There is a porch across the north side with a much flatter pitch... guessing 4/12, maybe 6/12. The snow pretty much stays on the roof and porch all winter. It slides and slips off slowly but usually more takes its place.

I really feel like I need to access and clean the chimney at least once a month/2 months for peace of mind. I burn exclusively aspen.

Thoughts? Questions?

Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 09:52

Picture of the north side this winter.
Cabin North Side
Cabin North Side

paulz
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 10:34

My first thought is you make me feel pretty darn guilty about my stove pipe cleaning habits. Second is what a nice place you got there.

No snow at my local. Avoiding catching snow would be my first thought about a permanent ladder. So it would have to be above the roofing. A ladder than ran from the bottom of the porch roof straight to the top would do that but sure would be ugly.

LittleDummerBoy
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 10:36

How about two very large hook that hold the ladder at the peak?
It would take only a second to hang a light aluminum ladder in place, over snow if necessary.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 10:57 - Edited by: ICC

I have used an aluminum ladder, hooked over the peak and secured with brackets to the roof, both metal and shingled roofs. A worst you may need to remove some snow before climbing the ladder. IMO, that is much easier than placing a ladder up there everytime. I will admit that the biggest drawback is that it looks ugly. I have partly remedied that aspect by screwing snowguard metal strips to the metal roofing ribs as ladder rungs. Sorry, no picture, but here is the type of material. There are many styles from different mfg and they can be had in the same color as the roof.

Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 12:06

Paulz... thanks... we love it! Presently packing up here in AZ and headed back to CO probably Sunday.

Yeah a ladder attached to the roof would be ugly but not burning the place down outweighs that.

Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 12:11

LDB.... I do have ladder hooks that we used when installing the solar, except if I use one section of the ladder (I would have to put the ladder up, upside down to use both sections) it doesn't reach the porch... about 3'-4' feet up, just enough you can't step up to it.

My issue is I only have one arm so taking a ladder on and off a roof is not something I can do without help... and I don't like to call for help if I can find a way around.

Thank you!

Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 12:23

ICC.... I like the idea of the snow guards! I'll look into that. There is a metal company where our gravel road hits pavement, I bet they can help. The ones I have seen are merely small pieces of roofing material bent at a 90*.... may not hold to walk up on. The ones you linked looked more substantial.

My thoughts were to build a fixed ladder out of 1"x4" with the rungs mortised in. Full length from the edge of the porch up to the peak of the roof.... with hooks affixed to the top to keep it from slipping. That way I could build it to only obstruct 1 section... between the ribs... of the metal. I could then affix a rope to the top and bottom that I could use an assender on to be a safety when I'm climbing and cleaning (with enough slack in the rope.... or a second rope just for cleaning. )

Thoughts?

Thank you!

I was/am worried about catching and holding snow, but thinking about it now that you mentioned the snow guards, that is what they are intended to do. So I guess that is not a huge concern.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 14:08

I usually managed to time the need to clean the chimney with a period of little snow but did have to shovel once in a while. For me, that was no big deal, but I have 2 arms.

The metal strip type snow guards I pointed to are 26 gauge steel, same as the roofing. The supplier I use rolls them out as needed in 10 foot lengths. I have never had one deform from being used as steps. A rope secured at the top and bottom would be great to clip a safety harness onto.

Prior to hitting on the idea of using that material I had done a couple of roof access steps by using aluminum angle stock. That worked well too but to my mind the same color snow guard stock looks better.

Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 14:41

Sounds like a plan... I'll talk to the metal guy and see what he has. Thank you!

AKfisher
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 17:30

I built this janky ladder out of 1x6 and 2x4. I weigh 200 lbs and it supports me just fine. Do you think you could build a small ladder on porch roof, then build a small catwalk across your ridge? You could walk onto your porch, up a small ladder then down the catwalk. It would still let snow slide down your main roof.

Being a 12:122, just need to make your hooks at a 45 degree angle.

Just a thought.
Roof ladder
Roof ladder

Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 17:48

AK.... see what you're say...that seems like quite an undertaking but having a platform right by the chimney would be a good idea. I'm thinking of using snow guards as ICC suggested, but you have me thinking about incorporating a platform where I can safely stand and work on the chimney.

I found these online and since our local metal company is also Amish I'm thinking they will have a source. I know in our area snow guards are required on some structures.

Thank you!

ICC
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 18:05

I just recalled that I made snow guards years ago that were patterned off what I saw in Switzerland. They use pipe around the roof eves to hold snow from sliding onto walks below. I made a couple of roof ladders using galvanized pipe sections and pipe straps to secure them to the roofing ribs.

Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 18:40

That's a thought. So screw the pipe straps.... I'm thinking half round, one hole conduit style hold downs... screwed to the top of the ribs in the metal roof. I think my metal has flat tops on the ridges. My concern would be leakage over time with pressure from climbing up and down on these pipes.

Any issues you remember?

ICC
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 19:35

Don't recall any issues. Just be sure to NOT overtighten the screws. I used the self drilling, metal to metal types, not the long ones that go into the sheathing.

similar to these

Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 19:43 - Edited by: Nobadays

Got ya...

Edit... do you think EMT would be strong enough?

thanks!

ICC
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 20:14

Maybe 3/4" ?? If I had any laying around I'd try supporting at whatever your rib spacing is and step on it. It should work I think.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 21:00

If you have to clean your chimney every 2 months your doing something wrong or you have way to much single wall pipe. I'm going on 4 cords of wood this season and clean the chimney once a year. I use no chemical

How much build up are we talking about here? Going on any roof/ladder with a 12/12 pitch roof in the winter is a bad idea with any type of ladder.

You can put a hole in the center of a garbage bag and run the chimney brush through it and up the chimney, seal it around the chimney also. At some point 5min with a shop vac is better than falling off the roof

Nobadays
# Posted: 26 Mar 2020 23:26

Brett.... I'm not getting much build up as far as I can tell. I'm maybe just a bit paranoid. I do have too much single wall pipe It's 18' from the stove to the ceiling. At least 10' of that should be double wall, but that isn't going to change any time soon unless I come into some money! Trying to figure out how to support all that double wall will be another puzzle in itself.

That whole garbage bag thing....good idea but I don't think there any way I could shove 18'-20' of rod up from the bottom.

Good point about falling off the roof.... that's why a ladder of some sort and a rope for a safety.

Thanks!

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Mar 2020 16:25

Yes that's way to much single wall. I believe above 8ft of single wall should be changed to triple or insulated pipe, not double wall.

Do you ever hear the chimney catch fire while running a hot fire with the damper open? It's never going to be squeaky clean in there. 1/2in of flaky build up really isn't a problem. Are you sure your chimney cap isn't getting the majority of the build up?

If you have to go on the roof don't use a rod. Use a weight with a brush on a rope. Way easier to handle.

Nobadays
# Posted: 27 Mar 2020 16:52

Yes.... double wall insulated pipe above 8 feet to the ceiling is the plan.... hopefully before fall.

I have less than a half an inch build up anywhere throughout the length of the pipe I don't think. I know the pieces of creosote that fell down when we were cleaning, tapping on the pipe were 1/4" thick at the most. It does not appear that the chimney cap is plugged either. When firing hard in the morning we can hear the pipe ping, if you will... but can't actually hear any kind of fire in the chimney.... and having stepped outside several times when I know the flue is really hot, no flames or tell tale yellow smoke.

Weight with a rope might work... I've never had trouble using rods though. We don't have to disconnect the pipe from the top of the stove to clean it out.... there is an unused rear stove pipe exit that we can remove and scoop out the debris.

I'm perhaps overly cautious thinking I need to clean more often than I do. We are over an hour from the nearest fire dept.... in the winter there would be no help at all. For my peace of mind I woke to run the brush down the pipe once a month or every couple of months. Affixing some rungs and a safety rope will make that possible.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.