Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Skid size & fastening
Hangblague
# Posted: 1 Apr 2020 12:31

I am finalizing details in my planning phase for my 14 x 20 cabin which I am looking forward to taking on this Spring & summer.

Through the shared experience I've been reading from the forums, I've decided to build on 2 skids. My final detailed questions on this are

1) SIZE OF BEAM - whether 6x6 (nominal) treated beams are large enough - and if not whether laminated beams made of 4 2x8's are large enough.

2) NO ATTACHMENT - I'd like to annually adjust with shims for level and have no fastenings between foundation piers, beams and subfloor frame. Is this inadvisable?

Thanks for your comments!

P.S. I went to a local engineer with these and a few other specific "can I get away with..." type questions to suit a small recreational off-grid cabin and explained I was NOT trying to shift responsibility for my own mistakes, just get some practical knowledge, given I would have no inspector to rely on where I am building.

He told me I could either borrow the Building Code from the public library or pay him $400+ to have him cite it to me.

"OK then..." I am SO thankful for this forum.

Brettny
# Posted: 1 Apr 2020 15:34

You need to ask the inspector all of these questions. One major one I would ask right away would be do the plans need an engineers stamp. If they do you will need to pay an engineer to draw and stamp them.

darz5150
# Posted: 1 Apr 2020 16:45

Quoting: Hangblague
He told me I could either borrow the Building Code from the public library or pay him $400+ to have him cite it to me.

That sounds like the guy is an absolute ASS to me.
Don't your tax dollars already pay him? If so, I would report him to his boss. Isn't his job to help people like yourself do the safe/right and legal thing you need to do? Instead of telling you that you can bribe him into doing his job?
I don't know the rules in Canada. But where I come from. The guy at the very least would lose his job. And would likely get a $400 beat down as soon as he clocked out from work.

ICC
# Posted: 1 Apr 2020 18:07 - Edited by: ICC

I believe Hangblague was saying that he went to a professional engineer, who said he could help Hangblague for a minimum of $400, or Hangblague could help himself by going to the library and reading the code book there. If my understanding is correct then the engineer is completely within his rights. He gets paid to do the work he is trained to do. The folks who get paid by tax dollars and fees are inspectors.

Inspectors work for the local or state government, and all they have to do is inspect submitted plans and inspect work that has been done. Then they pass or fail the job. That is all. The inspectors job does not include advising how to actually do things, although they often will as a simple courtesy. EG; I have seen where a homeowner sunbmitted plans and the footing was not drawn deep enough, so the inspector wrote the correct depth in red pencil. Same for rebar size. But they may not want to get into giving information on what size of beams should be used. There are tables and engineers for that.

Hangblague
# Posted: 1 Apr 2020 18:34

Thanks all. I was telling an anecdote about an engineer - not whining about him. I was hoping unreasonably for some practical guidance from him - the kind I have gotten here.

To be clear, the guy was a private engineer - so no taxes. I was selfishly hoping he could give me some assurances for small fry questions at a small fry price. I totally understand that is not worth his time.

I am not surprised by his answer, but I was hoping to get lucky with someone who would take an interest in a small project within my context.

Brettny - the point about my search for help is I DON'T have an inspector. I am building in a tiny rural municipality without permits and inspectors. This has pros and cons. Mostly pros. But the con is not having expert review. That's one of the things I love about coming here.

I saw many posts from an Owen Christenson (if I remember the name right) about building on skids. He had a ton of experience and success and a willingness to offer guidance to new builders. That is the kind of knowledge I hope for.

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Apr 2020 09:04

No specific codes then you can go by what others have done.

With 4 2x8 for skids and 20ft long I would use 4 or 5 blocks. 3 2x8 for the skids would also be fine I think. 14ft wide and 2 skids I would use 2x8 or 2x10 floor joists.

Don't use 6x6 for skids if your going to block it up. They flex to much. The only one who's going to take the most interest in your project is you. Read alot, ask questions, dosnt have to be locally because you have no codes.

old243
# Posted: 2 Apr 2020 10:20

I would err on , oversizing your skids. When your doing it adding an extra 2by 8 or 10, is easy before you put the floor joist on. Also stagger the joints or get full length , if available. If you need advice as you go along , with your build. Lots of good folks here to advise you, it is also free.old243

Hangblague
# Posted: 2 Apr 2020 17:16

Thank you both for the input. It's valuable to me.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.