Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Insulation
smitty
# Posted: 28 Mar 2011 18:13

Ok guys,
Here is a question on insulation for the cold north winters.
I have two ideas in my mind right now.
In order to have the exposed wood look, on the inside of the cabin. I am thinking about tounge and groove the outside, and using Rigid foam insulation 4x8 sheets, and then cover that with the exterior wood.

Or, standard stick built. With bat insulation between the studs..

Which method would be best in the NY winters?

honusbam
# Posted: 30 Mar 2011 22:18

Do both!

More practically, I would use exterior house wrapping over plywood, put your exterior wood over that, and then use bat insulation between the studs, like MikeOnBike did.

MikeOnBike
# Posted: 31 Mar 2011 00:24

2" foam will get you R10, 3 1/2" batt will get you R13, 5 1/2" batt will get you R21. 6 1/2" R19 batt will get you R18 stuffed into a 2x6 space.

What are you going to use to heat your small cabin? Body heat, external vented propane, wood stove?

If we were going to use our shed in the winter I would have gone with R21 batt in a 2x6 wall. Our use is April-Nov. so I will be fine with a 2x4 wall.

The foam I put in under the floor is 2" R10 Owens Foamular 150. I hope that the rodents will leave it alone. I did not seal the bottom of the floor. If they get into it I'll fix the damage and cover the underside with plywood.

I would put your T&G on the inside of a stud wall, use batt insulation and put your exterior wood over ply/osb with tarpaper/housewrap.

The thickness of the wall space would be determined by your heating method. It's true that a 2x6 wall steals quite a bit of space out of a small structure but body heat needs all the help it can get.

Hick
# Posted: 1 Apr 2011 00:35

My wife and I did a combo of insulation. R13 in the 2x4 walls with 1 inch foam board on the inside. House wrap with reflective insulation too. Not sure what the R value is, but it seems to work good. I would take the time and do it right the first time.
Inside picture with foam board
Inside picture with foam board

smitty
# Posted: 1 Apr 2011 04:19

Thanks guys.
Appreciate your advice..
I think I just feel more comfortable with standard method. Batt between the studs. Just seems more reliable, time tested..
But I think I'm with you MikeonBike. 2x6 might just be the way to go.
Pretty much planning on heating with a wood stove, as we have plenty of free wood. But, if I insulate well enough, I think the ol lady could probably heat the place enough with her hot flashes, that girl is like a furnace some days lol... TMI but funny :)

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 1 Apr 2011 09:16 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I used Tyvek wrap around the outside, covered the studs with it, then went over with 5/8" T1-11. Used bat type insulation in the walls, then wrapped that up in 6 mil plastic, stapled and pulled tight, all corners taped, its literally air tight and I can heat my cabin with a candle. I then sheated the entire interior with 3/8" plywood, nice side out. I am debating if I will cover it with anything or leave the plywood exposed. It looks real nice.

honusbam
# Posted: 1 Apr 2011 13:11

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
covered the studs with it

what size walls do you have? 2"x4"? Just curious on the thickness of your insulation. Do you go there in the winter?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.