Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Shed roof cabin in North Cascades
willywilly2020
# Posted: 6 May 2020 14:02

Hello friends! First of all, you are all awesome! I have learned so much from this forum.

This summer I am embarking on my own cabin build on my family's land off the grid in the North Cascades (thanks mom and dad!).

I have rough initial designs, but still many decisions are up in the air and I would love advice/suggestions.

Current plan is to build a 12x16 cabin with a 4ft deck on two sides. Shed roof, with the high side being on the "long" (16ft) side. Short wall would be 8ft tall, and high wall would be 12ft tall, leaving a roof slope of 4/12.

Foundation wise, I am hoping to install helical piers/piles, if that proves to be cost prohibitive, sonatubes.

Looking for thoughts/advice on my plan. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

ICC
# Posted: 6 May 2020 14:29

North Cascade locations can have extremely high snow loads. The first thing you need is to determine exactly what the design ground snow loads are. That can vary widely within a few miles depending on a number of factors, such as what side of a ridge one is on.

frankpaige
# Posted: 6 May 2020 14:56

Think about orientation. Where you want to sit in morning and afternoon/evening.

Nobadays
# Posted: 6 May 2020 15:46

Not to rain on you either....but, from my experience.... and what I have read, snow doesn't slide well on a 4/12 roof slope. I have an outbuilding with a 6/12 pitch that has a porch with a 4/12, both metal roofs. We got 3' of snow two years ago and as it warmed the snow slipped off the shed roof but I was really afraid I was going to lose the porch, that snow never slid but rather melted off.

This from a FEMA pdf... " the angle of repose is the maximum angle at which snow will not slide, approximately a 30 degree roof slope, often referred to as 6:12 or 7:12."

My experience is snow will slide ok on a 6/12 but the steeper the better or you will be spending a lot of money beefing up the rafters/trusses to support a heavy snow load.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.