Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Small Cabin electrical help.
Nickels
# Posted: 21 May 2020 11:29

I am starting to wire my cabin to run off a generator. I purchased a L14-30 power inlet box. Its a 4 prong twist box. It will bring two 10 gauge power wires to a 30amp breaker. That should power both legs of the box. Problem is both of my generator do not have a 4 prog twist. So if I get a dog bone adapter will that only power one leg? Or will it work fine? Maybe I should just run a three prong 30amp and use a wire to jump the breaker. I am not sure at this point. Going up to work on the cabin this weekend. I searched the forums but didn't find a answer that was clear. Youtube was no help either. Thanks for any help.
PB30
PB30
Dog Bone
Dog Bone
Box
Box

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 21 May 2020 15:52

Depends, is it a 120V or 240 3 prong twist? If its a 3 prong 240, still do both legs. Its line, line and neutral (so to speak) red black white.

If it is 110V, not the end of the world, just use a jumper to jump from one leg to other on input at inside of panel. I run mine on a Honda EU2000i and power up both legs. Just make sure jumper is sized for amps you are using.

Brettny
# Posted: 21 May 2020 19:32

Unless your planning on upgrading your generator why not return the wrong plug you have a buy the correct one?

If your planning on getting a 240v generator just make a whip plug that will power both legs with 120v.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.