Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Upside Down Door
paulz
# Posted: 7 Jun 2020 13:52

There's perfect room for an entry door left over next to my new barn doors, and as luck would have it I had a prehung exterior door in the shed. Want the hinges inside I guess, which means I would rather it swung the other way, although this works. The only issue I see is the top piece of the frame would take a bit of fiddling, is there some other reason you can't flip a door upside down?

Shop door, not the Taj.
0607200952_HDR1.jpg
0607200952_HDR1.jpg

ICC
# Posted: 7 Jun 2020 17:31

To me, if you "fiddle" with the door frame you lose much of the advantage of a prehung door. But if you have the door already maybe that compensates. The latch height will be non-standard if that matters.

There are special hinges made with non-removable pins for use with exterior door applications where an outswing is desired. I have used them, mainly in steel-framed doors. I did have burglars try to hammer and prybar their way through one once and they did not succeed though they bent the door up a lot.

paulz
# Posted: 7 Jun 2020 18:29

I should clarify this frame has no threshold that I remember but yeah, the top and sides fit together nicely.

Actually having it swing out would be OK. If someone wants to break in it would be much easier prying the barn doors open anyway. Like most of our places you can make quite a racket before anyone notices.

Thanks ICC

NorthRick
# Posted: 8 Jun 2020 17:17

I think if you turn it over the hinge pins might try to work their way out of the hinges.

ICC
# Posted: 8 Jun 2020 21:06

Depends on the hinge. I've used numerous hinges that do not have a side that must face up. No hinge pin cap so the pin drops in from either end. A hinge designed specifically for the pin to be on the exterior is differenr, but it doesn't sound like paulz's hinges are the exterior facing out pin type.

You could also hit the hinge pin with a welder if a welder is handy. That would make door removal to be done by changing the hinge.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.