Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Framing tips for big window wall?
willywilly2020
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 02:00

Hi all,

Things are going swimmingly with my foundation updates! I'm also finalizing my framing /window plans.

For context, I am building a 12'x20' cabin, with load bearing walls on the 20'. On the high wall (12' tall, 20' long, load bearing), I want to have a lot of window coverage. I've designed my framing to support the windows, but would love any tips or tweaks to make sure I've built to last and am supporting the windows well given the high snow load (120psf)

I've framed with 2x6s, and have double jacks and double kings for the high windows. I also plan on having three shear panels (two 2', and one 1' panel). See the attached sketch.

Am wondering - is it okay that i'm using a header as a sill? Should I beef up any of the headers even more?

Thanks in advance!
framing_east_wall.jp.jpg
framing_east_wall.jp.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 08:58

Is that a header over a header? Why dont you just move the header to the top plate a full in with framing that's not structural as your opening alreaty had structural framing?

It's a little confusing though, lots of lines. I would do the header over the lower left window though so you have a nice nailing surface for the sill on the upper window.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 09:38

Need a higher quality, better lit image

snobdds
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 13:02

most load bearing walls I've seen built that have lots of windows just use a beam that is big enough to span the distance and supported on each end by an equally sized beam to carry the load.

You might be able to do a hybrid on this. Just put a header under your top plate that spans the 20 feet and is supported on the ends and in the middle by the normal spacing of the studs.

willywilly2020
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 16:15

Thanks all, great advice. So based on this, would likely proceed with a full 20ft of 3 2x12s joined into one big header/beam attached to the plate. Supported by evenly spaced studs, with at least 3 studs at each end.

For my big middle windows, especially the 6x5 with the 6x1.5 that are stacked, what would I use as a “headers” since the beam against the end plate is carrying the load?

Thanks again!!

curious
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 17:32

That wall has no real panels to resist shear load. Lateral sideways forces like from winds against the 12 foot ends

willywilly2020
# Posted: 26 Jun 2020 18:31

Quoting: curious

That wall has no real panels to resist shear load. Lateral sideways forces like from winds against the 12 foot ends

What adjustment would you propose? I was planning to do shear panels (a 2ft and a 1ft panel) at the edges. But I have have never built with shear panels before and maybe I didn’t plan them up correctly?

Peewee86
# Posted: 28 Jun 2020 00:45 - Edited by: Peewee86

Are you familiar with brace wall code? I had this link bookmarked from when I was designing my place.

https://iccsafe.org/cs/codes/Documents/2007-08cycle/ProposedChanges/V2_RB144-168.pdf

I have a wall that is 15’ and has more than 9.5’ of window openings. I needed to extend the outside window headers 12” past the window opening and use metal strapping to comply with the code. In the code it’s referred to as a portal frame. I will attach a picture of the framed wall.

I also used a ripped down LVL for the two king studs. LVL’s are like 2 inch thick piece of plywood. They are much stiffer and more resistant to flex from the wind load than a standard 2 x 6 stud. Too much flex from wind could result in a seal failure on your windows. I would recommend that you spend the extra $80-$90. I am also a fan of using LVL’s for the headers on load bearing walls for the same reason. LVL’s are not available as a 2 x 6 replacement. You can order a 12” board and rip it down into a pair of 5 1/2 inch studs matching the 2x6 wall.
4BBF2FCB7B7546E38.jpeg
4BBF2FCB7B7546E38.jpeg
1322262390F84A2CB.jpeg
1322262390F84A2CB.jpeg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.