Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Truss Question
Alpine_Junky
# Posted: 16 Jul 2020 10:37

Howdy!

I am in the process of building a cabin 30' wide by 50' long. I ended up with trusses with a 60 pound snow load and now am wishing I went with a little more (snow load varies greatly in the area). My question is this -- would doubling up the 2x4's and adding a load bearing wall in the center increase the capacity of the truss significantly?

Brettny
# Posted: 16 Jul 2020 11:50

Ask the truss manufacturer on the doubling up and center wall.

I would think adding more trusses would spread the load thus making the snow load weight rating higher.

Alpine_Junky
# Posted: 16 Jul 2020 13:19

Thank You Brett! This is the solution -- just got off with the truss company and they reran the numbers giving me what I thought I was getting by placing the trusses 16 o/c.

NorthRick
# Posted: 16 Jul 2020 13:43

Quoting: Alpine_Junky
This is the solution -- just got off with the truss company and they reran the numbers giving me what I thought I was getting by placing the trusses 16 o/c.

Yeah, if they haven't been installed yet, buy more and place them closer together.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.