Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Number of windows
eligh
# Posted: 25 Jul 2020 08:07

Hi.
I'm building my 12x12 shed and thinking about the number of windows I want in it.

It will be used as a hunting cabin for a couple years as I build the main dwelling cabin next to it.
After that, it will be used as a true storage shed for "stuff".
Since I'll be "living" in it on the weekends I need a bathroom in it which will have one window in there.

I will also have double French doors or maybe one huge sliding door facing the east. With that it'll be enough light. Not sure I need any windows at all on the north or West walls.
Bathroom window will be facing South.

Thoughts?

Just
# Posted: 25 Jul 2020 08:59

Wall space is at a premium in a small cabin I like to have just enough for ventilation and some light .Think about what you need wall space for before you buy a lot of windows . A door with a opening window makes good use of space .
Bunky
Bunky

mj1angier
# Posted: 25 Jul 2020 12:23

I would have at least one that is big enough to get out of if there is only 1 door in building.

95XL883
# Posted: 25 Jul 2020 14:19

For a hunting cabin that will be a shed in a few years, I would stick with a door and two windows. Paint the interior white and you will probably be surprised how much bright it is with just two south windows.

I have a 10 x 14 shed with two windows and interior painted white. During day, a light is rarely needed in there. At night, a small flashlight, headlamp or lantern worked well. The white painted walls and ceiling really make the most of any light.

eligh
# Posted: 25 Jul 2020 15:09

Quoting: 95XL883
I would have at least one that is big enough to get out of if there is only 1 door in building.

That's the thing that concerns me.
If there was a fire I guess I'd have to jump through the sliding glass door.

But if I have a 10 ft wide sliding glass door that should be enough space for me to break through and get out.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Jul 2020 19:18

Its 12x12. You can almost jump from one end to the other.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 26 Jul 2020 12:00 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quoting: mj1angier

Yes, egress/ingress, would make it wide enough and low enough room climb through. I think an ingress/egress window would be no more than 34 inches off the floor or close to that.

And as mentioned, ventilation. I like 2 windows arrange in such a way to get a cross flow or a breeze, on the sides of the place that dont get direct warm afternoon sunlight would be my minimum.

But for warmth, a southern facing window addition , but with blinds. Warms it in winter.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.