Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Water Well or Cabin first?
floydva122
# Posted: 26 Jul 2020 10:37

We are looking at constructing a small cabin soon, and are also looking into placing a water well on the property for the cabin. We already have access to electricity. I've heard differing opinions on whether we should allow the well drilling company to come in and drill the well BEFORE building the cabin, or whether we should wait until we have the cabin in place before contracting a well driller.

If the well were drilled before building the cabin, the well driller would come back at a later date to connect the structure to the well.

Thoughts?

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Jul 2020 15:16

Just make sure they dont drill a well where you want to build. Beyond that I dont think it really matters.

You also should have a septic plan in place. The well and leach field need to be 100ft apart in my area. A site plan is key before breaking ground.

hattie
# Posted: 26 Jul 2020 17:11 - Edited by: hattie

I agree with Brettny. You should have the well and septic in place first. That will tell you where you can build your cabin. In British Columbia, Canada, there must be 100 ft between your well and septic but ALSO, there must be 100 ft between your septic any any of your neighbours' wells. Check the local regulations where your cabin is. Usually the septic must be in place before you can get a building permit.

When we purchased our cabin, we actually had to move the cabin to another spot on the property because the only place we could put the septic was where the cabin was. Luckily we realized that before we purchased so that was taken into account with the purchase price.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Jul 2020 20:14

Well & septic are #1

TF18
# Posted: 27 Jul 2020 17:28

I am a newbie to this forum. Not jacking this thread but can't you put a septic/water system in anywhere as long as you follow the code requirements for distance away from the lot lines and roads?

jsahara24
# Posted: 28 Jul 2020 09:40

Quoting: TF18
I am a newbie to this forum. Not jacking this thread but can't you put a septic/water system in anywhere as long as you follow the code requirements for distance away from the lot lines and roads?

Sorta, but the septic needs to be supported by a soils test confirming the desired septic location has a large enough depth to a limiting zone and adequate percolation rates. Wells typically needs to be 100' away from all septic systems, yours and your neighbors.

So you should know where your septic and well will be going before you build the house.

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Jul 2020 11:21

100' away from the leachfield. I believe its 50-75ft for the tank or Dbox.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Mar 2023 15:33

First thing I did was sink a well, water rights can be tricky, get it done now, it gets harder each year. I didnt even trim mine out (grind off the welded on cap) for 8 years.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.