Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Another Insulation Question
Anonymous
# Posted: 4 Apr 2011 09:56

I have a 12 x 28 cabin in Southern Mississippi, the cabin is already built and I'm getting ready to insulate the roof and walls. The design is barn style with lofts on each end. The barn style roof framing is made of 2x4's with 1/2" OSB decking and covered with a tin shealting. The walls are 2x4 framing with 5/8" thick pressure treated plywood on the exterior. My question, what would be the best way to insulate this cabin in the high humidity area of southern Mississippi? Since there is no house wrap or anything else in place, just bare wood framing, I was thinking of putting up tar paper between the framing and then fiberglass insulation with the brown paper liner toward the interior of the cabin. My main corcern is moisture buildup and mold developing. Any advice would be welcomed. I haven't bought the insulation yet so my options are still open, the only thing I've ruled out is spray foam due to cost.
Thanks.

Scott_T
# Posted: 4 Apr 2011 12:07

I think you could get away with putting the fiberglass insulation with the tar paper side against the exterior wall and insulation facing inside the cabin - if you think you need it. Here in NC piedmont area the vapor barrier is a house wrap (eg. Tyvek). The fiberglass insulation batts in my house do not have a vapor barrier on either the interior walls or attic. You might also check your county building code to guide you.

Scott_T
# Posted: 4 Apr 2011 12:20

I found this additional info.

http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/insulation_airsealing/index.cfm/mytopic=11810

Scott_T
# Posted: 4 Apr 2011 12:30

got even more info for you...one stop shopping at this forum!

Statewide Average Heating Degree Days for Mississippi
Weather directly affects energy consumption in homes, and heating degree days is a climatic statistic that engineers and economics use that reflects the severity and length of the heating season. Heating degree days represent the number of hours over the course of a year that the outside air temperature is below 65°F (then divided by 24 to present in terms of the number of days).

Source: U.S. Department of Commerce NCDC

Average heating degree days for Mississippi in 2006
(degree F - day) 2,277
State rank 46

Anonymous
# Posted: 4 Apr 2011 13:38

Scott,
Thanks, I will research the site you sent me, I just want to do it right before I close in the walls - just trying to avoid a mold problems in the future.
thanks

coffeeville
# Posted: 27 May 2016 23:04 - Edited by: coffeeville

I am very interested in hearing what you decided to do in insulating your cabin. We are soon to be in the same situation with a similar materials in north Mississippi. I assume you have now had a few years to test your decision. Have you had any problems or regrets? Any help would be appreciated.

MtnDon
# Posted: 28 May 2016 09:52

coffeeville, did you notice this is a five year old thread? You'd be better off to simply start a new topic, ask your own questions.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.