Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Girders on 12X20 cabin
getemduck
# Posted: 3 Sep 2020 08:15

I have been searching the next for plans for a 12 x 20 cabin to build on the back of our property. It is very remote and will only be accessible by ATV. My question right now is girders at 12 feet wide do I need 2 - 20' beams or would 3 be the way to go? This will just be a one-story cabin no plumbing no electric just a rustic get away. Also if anyone has plans for a structure I would love to see them I currently have two shed plans but they are built on skids no post or girders.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

jsahara24
# Posted: 3 Sep 2020 08:40

I don't have a recommendation for plans, but 2 beams should be fine. Just size the joists for the span. You can also "build" your beams out of dimensional lumber as it sounds like your going to be trailering in your supplies on an atv, just make sure all breaks are set on a post/sonotube.

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Sep 2020 09:58

If you can get 20' lumber, it dosnt cost much more per ft and can get it into your site I would use 2 20' pieces like you said.

What do you plan on doing to keep the girders off the ground?

getemduck
# Posted: 3 Sep 2020 10:34

Right now I plan to set the girders on wood post set 36" in the ground. The location is packed clay so I figure a 5"-6" gravel bed and a PT post should hold things up. Most deer camps in the area are just buried 4x4 post with joist strung directly to them, but they are just 10x12 sheds basically but they have held up for 20+ years.

Thank you guys for your input I am no engineer but can us most powertools and still keep a large percentage of my fingers.

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Sep 2020 12:25

Wood has no place being in the ground. If your going to dig to put a 4x4 post in just dig a bit more and use sono tubes with a 6x6 post bolted on them. Many cabins start off with a crappy foundation.

Also just because the neighbor has a crummy cabin dosnt mean yours needs to match.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.