Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Pylex Supports for 16' x 24' Skid Foundation Question
geobuild
# Posted: 12 Sep 2020 20:22

Hi All,

I've been reading about members suggestions for six months now and would like some feedback. Thanks!

I'm in the final stages of planning a 16' x 24' off-grid cabin with an 8' x 12' screened-in porch.

I'm planning to have two skids of (4) 2" x 12"s glued/bolted together on piers. There will be five piers on a 24" wide x 24' long x 12" deep "sidewalk" of crushed stone after I clear off the top layer of vegetation. The soil is sandy down to 7-8 feet. I'm considering using Pylex adjustable supports to make it easier to level the skids at time of construction and in the future.

What do you think?

Thanks!

frankpaige
# Posted: 12 Sep 2020 21:29

Could you give a sense of the elevation difference? Is it flat? Type of winters?
Best Wishes

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Sep 2020 06:54

There was a member here that used pylex supports and had very basic results. One issue indeed with them is you have next to no lateral support. He was to the point of putting down sub floor and by the looks of things was going to have to remove all the wood and start over with something other than screw piles.

Why are you useing screw piles any way?

rpe
# Posted: 13 Sep 2020 07:46 - Edited by: rpe

Which Pylex screw piles are you looking at? The ones I've seen at the big box stores are very light-weight compared to the more industrial piles installed by somebody like Goliath.

Another concern aside from strength of the screw pile itself is corrosion resistance. The Pylex piles are painted steel, rather than galvanized. Add to that the fact that the much of the paint below grade will likely be scratched off during installation, and you've got a shortened life of your most critical part of the building - the foundation.

rpe
# Posted: 13 Sep 2020 07:56

Re-reading your post, perhaps you are referring to these type of Pylex adjustable deck supports and not the screw pile? I had a neighbour use these to allow adjustment of a platform to support his sauna. They worked fine for that application but they looked very light-duty for supporting a larger structure.

geobuild
# Posted: 13 Sep 2020 10:55

Thank you for the fast replies!

I was referring to the Pylex adjustable deck supports rpe mentions not the Pylex screw-in piles. I figured it would be easier to level.

The site has a gradual slope. It’s hard to say exactly how much because it’s heavily wooded right now. We’re in the northern Adirondacks and plan to use the cabin 5-6 weeks a year, mostly 3-season but at least once in the winter.

I was planning on the piers to be on 12" of gravel with two 16 in. x 8 in. x 4 in. Normal Weight Concrete Block Solid as a base and then two 8 in. x 8 in. x 16 in. Concrete Block side-by-side two or three high to give me a crawl space of 30-36 inches. 2” x 10” floor joists will rest on top of the skids and cantilever 12”.

Thanks again.

rpe
# Posted: 13 Sep 2020 13:50

OK, that makes more sense. So what you call a pier in your case is just wide concrete pad to support the beam (skid) that carries the floor joists? I'd personally look for something heftier than the Pylex deck supports to hold the structure. Those Pylex products are pretty light-weight, painted, made in China...

Brettny
# Posted: 14 Sep 2020 07:04

Your putting these adjustable height brackets on concrete blocks? This seams like a house of cards. What type of concrete blocks?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.