Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Wall framing question
lburners
# Posted: 13 Sep 2020 22:44

Say I am framing an 8ft wall. Do I take into consideration the bottom stud 1.5" and double top stud 3" to make the uprights 91.5"?
Thanks for input. Apologies on the newbie question.

darz5150
# Posted: 13 Sep 2020 22:58 - Edited by: darz5150

Yep. Pre cuts are 92 5/8 tho.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Sep 2020 23:00 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

You use "studs" for the wall, those are 92 5/8" long, then single bottom plate and the double top (double to lock corners, tighten splices) comes to smidge over 8 foot tall wall. Just enough room to slide in 8 foot chunk of sheetrock (at whatever) with a little room to spare.

There is 8 footers too, they are 96", you DO NOT use those for framing a wall. Those are called 8 foot 2X4's. ;D

As long as you have asked that question, make sure you pull measurements for stud layout from same side, so all studs on opposing walls will be even with opposing walls. This includes any interior walls too, even half walls. Assume you are using 16" OC

Now siding? If you have a rim joist, lets say a sill plate and a 2X8 floor joist, you will need 9 foot tall siding to cover floors rim joist and land right at the top of the wall. At 9 foot siding, will be even with top of wall and will cover rim joist, sill plate and still overlap concrete by a few inches.

9 foot siding it spendy. Dont cheap out and buy 8 foot stuff and then splice siding a foot from the top with Z flashing, it makes the wall weaker, that siding needs to be one chuck, top to bottom for best shear strength.

Brettny
# Posted: 14 Sep 2020 06:56

It really depends on how tall you want your wall. You can still use 8' drywall if you have a tall baseboard. If your doing pine or some other type of interior finish..make it what ever you want.

ICC
# Posted: 14 Sep 2020 10:15

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
9 foot siding it spendy. Dont cheap out and buy 8 foot stuff and then splice siding a foot from the top with Z flashing, it makes the wall weaker, that siding needs to be one chuck, top to bottom for best shear strength.

Great point to make. Many DIY builders cheap out. You may have to search but there are osb sheathing sheets made in 9 and 10 foot long sheets. Not usually found at big box stores.

lburners
# Posted: 14 Sep 2020 11:37

Thanks for all the info. I was just thinking max efficiency on exterior sheathing. I think you guys answered my question.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.