Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Cabin Construction / Foundation - your thoughts please
<< . 1 . 2 .
Stuart Feaver
# Posted: 18 Jun 2011 21:29

I live in Minnesota and used Patio blocks then put 8" blocks on top then shimmed everything to get it level, everyone around there does this then dont have to worry about frost heaves.
Foundation
Foundation

Erins#1Mom
# Posted: 19 Jun 2011 15:56

How may of you with pier foundations use your cabin during winter? I want to use even during the winter and lean toward crawlspace foundation. I would love it if I could use pier but worry about pipes freezing.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 20 Jun 2011 07:38

Quoting: Erins#1Mom
How may of you with pier foundations use your cabin during winter?

on my old caibin and the new cabin as well on piers.
in my plumping when i leave , to head home,,,,,,i have a drain in the lowest part of my plumping, i simply turn the drain, drains all piipes, and drain water heater before i leave, i have all pipes wrapped in foam insulation. On freezing nights when i am there during hunting season, i leave a trickle of water runnning in the sink to keep pipes flowing. In 22 years at old camp only had a couple busted pipes , which was a simple 2 dollar fix with pvc glue and a fitting and pipe.

EdOriginal
# Posted: 31 Jul 2011 19:45

What some others have said...There used to be a soil test called a PERT test that measures the soundness of placing weight on soil. I have 10 acres that barely meets the "pert" test. I can dig a hole with a post hole digger two feet deep and half the hole will fill with water in 20 minutes....My father (home builder) 35+ years ago did his own PERT test with a post hole digger (engineering companies do it today).

The level of water filling up a post hole was his signal as to whether the soil was suitable for a foundation. A small cabin is not as critical as a large residential home but my father's Pert test would still be a good signal as to type of foundation needed. A bad foundation can cause difficult issues to solve later -
ie: twisting of rafters, walls, etc later.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.