Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / venting for a steel roof
mshkikianimoosh
# Posted: 14 Oct 2020 10:22

I am installing a tankless propane water heater, a compost toilet, and a propane dryer. Can I vent these all together and preferably horizontally out the wall rather than cutting thru my steel roof, legally?

Brettny
# Posted: 14 Oct 2020 14:27

I believe the dryer uses just a normal dryer vent. And the other no.

Both of those use what a 3in vent pipe? Either way rubber boots for metal roofs are pretty cheap and easy to install. Have them go right up through a rib if your useing a R pannel roof.

ICC
# Posted: 14 Oct 2020 18:42

No, as brettny said. The silicone boots are superb for everything from plumbing vents, electrical service masts and all sorts of chimneys.

Absolutely
# Posted: 15 Oct 2020 08:27

I installed a composting toilet and the manufacturer approves venting through the wall.

Villa® 9000 can be installed with up to 10 meter ventilation pipe and 4 x 90 ° bends. Ventilation can be through walls or ceiling, for example up in the attic and out through a suitable side of the house.

scott100
# Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:52 - Edited by: scott100

I think you've got your answers above, just a side note on the composting toilet. We use a c-head composter in our cabin unvented. While you can vent it, the manufacturer suggests trying it unvented first. We've found that venting it is unnecessary.

mshkikianimoosh
# Posted: 26 Oct 2020 11:41

Since I can't, I'll buy the wall vented propane water heater. I have no interest in boots and cutting thru my steel roof. I already had ice build up that damaged the steel chimney. I am convinced that I will vent the wood stove out the wall eventually. i already have a Forsaire 6007731 wall furnace on order which has a direct vent to supplement my wood stove to provide heat in winter overnite and while on vacation. I love metal roofing but sealing is an ongoing issue bc rubber gaskets/ silicone wear out with northern MB winters and ice build up can easily smash anything sticking up from the roof. Anyone have suggestions on the kind of rake/ broom that should be used to clean off a painted steel roof. I will be installing my 6KWH solar system in the spring as well. I have something inherited with the cabin that looks like some sort of rake but It appears to be metal.

Brettny
# Posted: 26 Oct 2020 17:05

If you have ice on a steel chimney more than likely you have in inadequate insulation.

How did ice damage the steel chimney anyway?

Generally silicone and roof sealants are put between the boot and the roof prior to installing. This shouldn't wear out. However if you have large ice dams forming or alot of snow sliding off the roof all bets are off.

ICC
# Posted: 26 Oct 2020 17:53

Quoting: mshkikianimoosh
I already had ice build up that damaged the steel chimney.

Is it correct to understand that to mean ice built up on the metal roofing and then the ice somehow caused damage to the metal chimney? The ice slid off or something?

In any event, ice should not form on a roof, though it is a commonplace occurrence when, as brettny mentioned, there is insufficient insulation in the ceiling or roof structure. It is most common along eves on low pitch roofs mainly because it is difficult to get enough insulation in that area because of not enough space. More insulation is the real solution, and in some cases will not be an easy or cheap fix.

In areas with heavy snows we would always install snow splitters to protect the chimneys and roof vents. Add braces to that if the stack height is more than 5 feet.

snobdds
# Posted: 26 Oct 2020 18:46 - Edited by: snobdds

My cabin is in deep snow country. We get on average 10 feet a year.

Never a problem with proper care...
Chimney.pdfAttached file: Chimney.pdf

ICC
# Posted: 26 Oct 2020 19:40

Quoting: snobdds
Never a problem with proper care...

That is the way to do it!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.