Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / water line trenching
mshkikianimoosh
# Posted: 22 Oct 2020 09:32

My off grid cabin is 2 hr from any urban area with no trencher or backhoe, mini-excavator to dig a 3-4' deep trench available for rent. I saw a post using a plow type tool on bolted onto a quad but that wouldn't be deep enough. I have an 800 renegade lots of quad power. Its approx. 190' from lake to cabin utility room where a jet pump will draw water. Frost line info says bury line 3' - 4 '. I would like to do 4'. Local community of 500 has no mechanical equipment.

Brettny
# Posted: 22 Oct 2020 09:58

Your quad has no ability to even trench 2ft deep. Find another way or make this pipe seasonal.

DaveBell
# Posted: 22 Oct 2020 11:04

This will blast 4 feet deep.

Can you rent a water pump and 200' of flat hose? The one that a person would use to drain a flooded basement.

https://www.grainger.com/product/MOON-AMERICAN-Industrial-Fire-Hose-Nozzle-6ANV5

The intake hose will be rigid with a inlet screen that has a flapper valve. You have to prime the inlet side to get it going sometimes.

You need to set up a barrier to stop soil from getting into the lake. The highway workers use black fabric and wood stakes, and maybe a few hay bales.

mshkikianimoosh
# Posted: 24 Oct 2020 09:55

Water will be needed in the winter so has to be buried; I plan to insulate line and use heat tape. Gonna check out the fire hose site. Covid slowed everything up acquiring reno mat'ls for cabin, so I'll have to haul water from the lake for winter/ buy 5 gal jug refills for drinking; have to dig trench next spring.

FishHog
# Posted: 24 Oct 2020 11:26

There is always the manual method. Its good exercise

paulz
# Posted: 24 Oct 2020 11:48

Ha, I was going to mention that Fish. I dug a shorter, shallow trench a week ago for my rain gutter drains, wanted to try out the demo hammer I got from that paver yard I cleared out. Has a 2" wide flat blade, weights 50-60lbs.. Ran it off a generator. Ground was hard compacted from driving over it. Much easier than a pick though. Still hard work for this geezer. I dug the other with the backhoe..

Another thing I have is a Husqvarna 2 stroke hand held stump grinder. Looks like a chain saw but has a circular carbide toothed blade. I've never used it for dirt but it will certainly gnaw that too.

I wouldn't attempt what msh needs with these myself, but I'd give them to some young hired labor to hack away with.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 24 Oct 2020 12:59

What is your elevation difference for lake to cabin?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.