Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Artesian Well?
fitzpatt
# Posted: 7 Apr 2021 09:14

We had a well drilled last year and successfully hit water at 80 ft. Our nearest neighbour, 1km away, had to drill to ~250 ft. All was good, until a short time afterwards when we came back to the property, snow on the ground, and I saw water gushing out of the well head, creating a small stream across part of our land. I asked a friend to excavate a 4-5ft deep trench ~100ft long from the well to a lower part of the land and connected a pipe to the well, then filled in. That pipe has been constantly pouring out water ever since. The water almost fills the 2" pipe. It is like we have a spring on our land now. I was hoping to see if anyone could weigh in on the possible reasons for the gushing. Do you believe this is an artesian well? I am really hoping that the water continues to stream out of the relief pipe, otherwise i will have to consider ways of preventing anything from moving through it in the opposite direction!
Well
Well

gcrank1
# Posted: 7 Apr 2021 09:27

Sounds like the enviable position of not needing to have a pump, etc.
Maybe contact the local US Ag Dept to see if they will aid in putting in a pond?
Btw, we have several artesian wells near our dry cabin, really great water, and a rain barrel for utility.
You should probably get it tested.

Brettny
# Posted: 7 Apr 2021 11:03

Put a well seal on that. Theres no reason to let good clean water become un potable surface water.

I have a well that's in my basement, it also over flows when the water table is high. Last summer we didnt get any rain for over a month, my standing water level was 6ft deep. I also have a well seal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Water-Source-6-in-Well-Seal-Single-Drop-1-1-4-in-WS625/20 3990036
They also make all dif sizes of holes in well seals. It may be good to put a hand pump in this one also.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 7 Apr 2021 18:22

This happens to my well sometimes. Do you have hills near by that are higher than your well?

fitzpatt
# Posted: 8 Apr 2021 08:47

Quoting: Irrigation Guy
Do you have hills near by that are higher than your well?

Yes, there are many hill around and some are certainly higher. What did you do to mitigate? My solution appears to be working fine now, but I am worried what happens if the water relief stops flowing. I will have to figure out a way to protect the relief pipe from critters etc.

gcrank1
# Posted: 8 Apr 2021 11:42

Put a screw on the pipe 'strainer', like you would put on at the bottom of a driven sand-point pipe? That would allow it to vent, breath, etc and not allow insects or critters to get in.
Of course, there may well be regulations you need to be aware of.....whatever agency in your area is in charge of such to avoid contamination of the ground water supply. I can find all that online for our area.

fitzpatt
# Posted: 8 Apr 2021 14:02

Thank you. I will look into that. Great suggestions

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.