Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / What would be the best set up for my electrical needs?
TWilliams
# Posted: 6 May 2011 17:07

I have a new property and building a cottage this coming summer. I purchased a small solar kit (4 18 watt pannels with converter etc)
I also have two generators one small 14/1700watt and a 45/4800watt. I would like to get a wind turbine as well as we have a constant breeze at the lake. I have no idea how to set it all up though. How many batteries do I need? I think I'll need to build a separate room / cupboard for this outside the main cabin, but again Im not sure. Any suggestions or links to sites that may help me out?

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 May 2011 22:46

First an honest estimate as to how much power will be used. Be honest, pick a worst case scenario, etc. Allow for the power wants to grow; they usually do.

I have a solar calc available that may help. It is aimed at PV panels but wind is just another source.

If you can get a small weather station and measure actual winds it could be a good idea. I thought we had pretty good wind but a 4 month day by day record indicated otherwise. Wind is often 3X as great 30 feet above the highest surrounding objects (trees etc.)

~~~~~~~
Once you know the day to day power use, then the number of days of autonomy can be factored in. Adjust for cold weather. Then the battery capacity is determined. Once that is known the number of PV panels, wind power, etc all can be reliably figured.

TWilliams
# Posted: 8 May 2011 17:14

Thanks MtnDon!
I actually have a weather station that I was given a couple of christmas's ago..... still in the box...lol I'll take it with me next weekend and set it up.
As far as calculating the needs, Where would I start? The cottage will probably be around 600sf
Im hoping to use a propane stove and possibly propane fridge and use a woodburning stove for heat and hot water. So I guess Im just concidering lighting and a socket for charging phones and the occasional tool. Although looking at the price of propane fridges Im probably going to have to figure an electric model into my calculation.
Any thoughts?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.