Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Lithium Batteries for DIY Folks
ICC
# Posted: 1 Jul 2021 22:03 - Edited by: ICC

A friend recommended this company as a source of lithium cells and batteries of many different types. These are recycled cells and battery packs and sometimes new. Many come out of medical equipment where they have been backup power in some important device. Possibly never or seldom actually used and replaced only because the maintenance calendar said they should be replaced.

I trust my friend and over the past few months have bought some cells and a couple of small packs to try for small projects. I tried some LiFePO4 cylindrical and some prismatic as well as some Li-Ion cylidrical cells. All cells I received tested to the specs as advertised or better. So, I am happy.

I recommend that anyone interested have a look and make their own decisions. I am not guaranteeing you will have the same experience I have, but these folks do seem to be honest, in my limited experience.

Battery Hookup is the company name. As well as cells they sell parts used to assemble packs.

Steve_S
# Posted: 2 Jul 2021 12:20

I would like to add a general warning for folks considering Lithium Based Batteries.

These are not like batteries of yesterday. The various chemistries are unique to themselves. They are not inter-mixable or interchangeable. This is because of the Cell Voltages and their working Voltage Curves. Most can be extremely dangerous if mishandled and can occur quite quickly.

Any battery pack assembly will require a BMS, (Battery Management System) of some form to manage & protect the individual cells and battery pack itself. This is to prevent the cells within from Over/Under charge and for working temp considerations. BMS' are designed to handle specific chemistries and their unique requirements and specs.

Please Note, many terms & abbreviations are applied in a slightly different context when compared to Lead Acid / AGM battery terms. This can be somewhat confusing at first.

Take your time, learn & understand the differences as well as the safe & proper handling.

At this point in time, Lithium Iron Phosphate or LFP (LiFePO4) is the preferred, safest, Lithium Based battery technology being used for ESS (Energy Storage Systems) such as residential battery banks. While not as dense as other chemistries it is stable, longlife, less costly and not subject to thermal runaway or fires. It is also the easiest to DIY Battery Packs & Banks with, due to the formats & configurations.

Hope this helps, Have Fun.

Steve_S
# Posted: 5 Jul 2021 11:04

I guess I must have scared people off...
It isn't as scary as it sounds and thanks to the recent developments & improvements it is a lot easier than even 4-5 years ago.

Have a look here for plans, ideas, schematics.
https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/

And the DIY Forum where info & help is available for everyone.
https://diysolarforum.com/index.php

gcrank1
# Posted: 5 Jul 2021 11:13

I think it is the summer, Canada Day and the 4th of July holidays, a lot of my fora chatter is down, Steve.
Im certainly glad for the solid tips and info on going diy! It is probably the only way I can afford the 200-250ish ah LFP bank Im thinking Id like to have.
There is a wealth of info over at Diysolarforum.com, so much that it can get overwhelming and a bit hard to sort out.
Your comments here are to the point.

ICC
# Posted: 5 Jul 2021 13:45

I did not expect a lot of action on this. The subject is more involved than opening a package of alkaline batteries or hooking up a lead-acid battery. I have been interested in electricity and electronics from when I was in grade school.

Steve_S
# Posted: 5 Jul 2021 15:13

@gcrank1,
Yeah I guess those that can take advantage of their weather are doing it...

DIY is certainly a money saver but can be overwhelming info-wise, it's a massive amount to digest and often much of it is just an "overburden". It is easy to get lost in the minutia.

I make an effort to provide the required info without the chaff with some general simplifications. This is partly me reason for creating the LFP Assembly guide because it covers the majority of the fielded questions by DIY'ers.

My only hope is to be able to guide people towards using solar power and gaining independence and making it a bit easier. Last few years has been quite an education with much to digest, so I'm sharing what I can.
Luyuan_Tech_Basic_Li.pdfAttached file: Luyuan Tech Lifepo4 guide

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 5 Jul 2021 23:19

We built a system with a salvaged lithium battery, it takes a bit of research but it safe if managed properly. Our system has been in operation for several years with 0 maintenance and no issues.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.