Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wood Stove Alternative ??
naturelover66
# Posted: 13 May 2011 13:20

I need help determining an alternative heat source for my cabin up in Michigan.
I was just told by my Cardiologist and Pulmonologist i cant breathe air heated by a wood stove ( i have issues since the heart attack) Ive determined Electric heat sources are more expensive...... although they would work fine. I guess i could invest in one of those Radiant electric heaters that look like a radiator. The cabin is only 400 sq ft.
Ive read about Solar Energy for heating a home...... but the expense is crazy.
I would really appreciate any suggestions.
Lisa

MtnDon
# Posted: 13 May 2011 13:37

direct vent propane

Just
# Posted: 13 May 2011 13:50

We heat our place with 4 electric base board heaters .700 sq feet . we open the place march 15 and close nov 15 > 856$ last year at 8 c a kwh two fridges and electric cook stove . simple clean safe >

naturelover66
# Posted: 13 May 2011 13:54

Thanks !!! I will look into both options.

hattie
# Posted: 13 May 2011 22:03

We heat with electric baseboards and have programmable thermostats. Setting the thermostats lower at night while we are sleeping helps keep costs down.

larry
# Posted: 14 May 2011 21:41

Quoting: naturelover66
I was just told by my Cardiologist and Pulmonologist i cant breathe air heated by a wood stove

is there a danger in breathing the air heated with wood. In my opinion electric heat would be cheapest per BTU

naturelover66
# Posted: 15 May 2011 08:31

No danger for the average person.......... i had open heart surgery two years ago and as a result have heart damage and COPD. My lungs can not take "fumes, high heat or smoke".......
I guess i will go with Electric......... even though its more costly.

Kithera
# Posted: 16 May 2011 14:45

The question really should be what do you have to heat with. Electric heat via on-grid energy is usually pretty reasonable as far as cost, and super easy to setup.

If you're off grid and on a tight budget, look for a vented propane heater. The kind which take combustion air from the cabin exterior and put it back when its done. A bit more expensive, but it's a lot easier to lug propane that run a hundred mile extension cord.

Finally, if you want to be off grid and are willing to make a bit of an investment, look a liquid based radiant floor heating. With this system, a series of tubes are placed just below your floorboards, and a hot liquid (usually glycol) is pumped through them. This liquid can be heated using solar water heaters, and the newer evacuated tube kind provide abundant heat even in very cold regions. A propane on demand heater should be used as a backup. As you can imagine, it's a massive job to retrofit, and requires expensive store bought components (sorry, DIYers) but for new construction, it's the best long term solution.

naturelover66
# Posted: 16 May 2011 15:15

Yep........ i read a bit about radiant floor heating....... not an option right now.
The cabin is wired ......... electric heating is the way i have to go right now.......... eventually...... solar.
Thanks for your input.
Lisa

soundandfurycabin
# Posted: 16 May 2011 17:18

Electric baseboards are cheap to buy and install, and make a good extreme-weather backup to any other system. You could look at adding a solar air heater later. They can be a DIY project; look for plans online. This page compares a few different types:

http://greenterrafirma.com/solar-air-heating.html

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.