Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wood stove
Srollins
# Posted: 8 Sep 2021 16:45

Here’s one , my wall thickness from the inside finish to outside finish is 14” so to install a wood stove does your inside and outside wall thimble need to connect? I plan to use single wall coming off stove until I reach the inside thimble at that point it’s triple wall to the outside T then straight up to above roof line.

Brettny
# Posted: 9 Sep 2021 09:11

What does the install instructions say? These need to be installed to there spec to meet the requirements to combustibles and be safe.

Srollins
# Posted: 11 Sep 2021 06:59

The instructions are for ideal situations, we all know from time to time you must adjust and adapt to compinsate for that. Understandably before anyone chops my head off I know a wood stove is not something to botch together, if you read my post again maybe it will make more sense? Bottom line if you use triple wall from the very outside to the single wall connection on the very inside and you maintain the required clearance does the inside and outside wall thimble still have to connect? Other info I've found says you don't need to others say if it bothers you just get some sheet metal and extend the thimble so it does connect. Still not sure what to do , I may call a wood stove store or installer just mainly wondering if anyone on here has had a similar issue and what they did. Thanks for the response

Brettny
# Posted: 11 Sep 2021 07:26

Maybe I'm not fully understanding? Usualy then interior section has a trim piece and you would use a tripple wall to stove pipe adapter.

I have essentially the same thing in my house but I used a cathedral ceiling box so the tripple wall comes down to just below the box. The clearances to combustibles are all built in. If that awnsers your question.

Srollins
# Posted: 11 Sep 2021 09:22

Yes it sounds similar , do you have like a trim piece at your ceiling that goes around your triple wall? Not sure if you know this part or not but do you know if your triple wall goes from inside your ceiling straight thru to your roof with some sort of thimble or collar around it? It seems to me with triple wall a thimble/ trim collar is just that a “ trim cover “ I’m curious if anyone really knows the purpose of this thimble , again I want to install this the correct way and certainly don’t want to burn my cabin down . At a finish to finish dimension of 14” the inside and outside won’t slide together so the question remains do they need to?

Srollins
# Posted: 11 Sep 2021 09:55

Here is a sketch the circle in the middle is the gap I’m referring to , maybe this simplifies what I’m trying to explain?
Sketch
Sketch

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Sep 2021 10:47 - Edited by: gcrank1

Not good to go up off the stove, bend 90*, run horizontal to another 90* at the T to go up. It ruins the draft. Btdt.
I understand that sometimes going straight up, the Best Way, isnt possible.
If you must go through a wall or gable seriously consider using 2 x 45*, one at the stove and one at the adapter/thimble and as short a hor. run as possible.
The chimney mfg will have the clearances, and your local code may be more stringent. Then there is the insurance co.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 11 Sep 2021 11:16

If it were me, I would at least put some additional metal in there to connect the two thimbles. Better yet would be to get your local fabricator to make a piece of triple-wall pipe long enough to do the job.

Srollins
# Posted: 11 Sep 2021 11:55

Agree with the additional metal but check out the sketch again I have triple wall thru the whole thing from inside to outside

Brettny
# Posted: 11 Sep 2021 16:02

If the tripple wall is exposed a bit on the interior that would be fine, stove paint is cheap. My cathedral ceiling box sticks down about 2in through the drywall and theres a square trim piece around that so it finished nicely.

I also wouldnt go through the wall with the chimney at any costs. Run through the roof and use a high temp silicone boot at the roof.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Sep 2021 19:44

Iirc the 3-wall pipe I was looking at last year (but ended up not doing a woodstove) had something like a 2" clearance from the outer pipe to any potential 'combustable'. The tin enclosures (firestops?) to provide such had that extra air gap and insulation could be packed right up tight to the 'box'.
Roll a tin tube (any tin-shop should be able to do it) with the air gap and run the 3-wall centered through it. It doesnt need to be made air-tight or anything.
Just dont take the number of inches I mentioned as correct, dbl check your requirements.

Srollins
# Posted: 12 Sep 2021 06:23

Thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.