Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solid wire for PV?
paulz
# Posted: 11 Oct 2021 10:08

Going to add some panels to the opposite side of the cabin from the SCC. Is solid copper wire ever used for static runs (either under the eves or under the cabin)?

And a 110vdc has the same wire requirements as AC? As in 10awg is good for 30 amps?

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Oct 2021 11:01 - Edited by: gcrank1

What is the voltage you will be running from the array?
Remember that cold may/will spike the array voltage, so if the array output spike is at the wire gauge peak rating you might want to consider going a gauge up? That said, any spike wont be for long and the wires are over-rated by a bit; ie the chance of over-heating would be pretty slim, imo (but Im not the one potentially 'at risk').
My concern would be the voltage loss over a long run; I try to min. the wire runs and optimize the wire gauge to get as many amps into the scc as possible.
And, yes, I do have some Romex from my 24v array, nothing has ever felt slightly warm. Figured it was an easy pull to swap out if I come across some suitable stranded wire. I know Ive seen something online regarding the types of wires (more specific to your question), think it was on some wire company websight.

old greybeard
# Posted: 11 Oct 2021 11:30

Braided iirc has more current carrying capability due to more surface area than solid, skin affect.
Ac or DC current is the same. Thats alot of amps, and it will light you up, especially dc. Be careful.

paulz
# Posted: 11 Oct 2021 11:47

Three 38v panels in series, usually high 90s but did hit 100 once that I know of. That's why I'm figuring 110 AC requirements, if indeed they are the same.

Also be lucky to see 10 amps max where they are going. I have some 10awg solid wire, which I believe is rated at 30 amps AC, giving me plenty of cushion. 25' run appx..

Thanks guys.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Oct 2021 13:09

Sounds to me like using that 10ga. awg would be a waste; wouldnt 14ga solid be more than adequate?

Brettny
# Posted: 11 Oct 2021 14:49

I have 12g UFB from my pannels to the CC right now. The wire is the UV rated stuff but is solid copper. I dont intent this setup to be in the same spot in 2yrs so didnt spend much on things like the rack and wireing. Mostly used what I I that was overkill. I have 460w of pannels.
20211011_120854.jpg
20211011_120854.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.