Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Fall Projects
Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 14:35

Our main solar array is mounted on the cabin roof, so when it snows we lose most of our charging ability. We have 750watts of panel mounted on the front of the deck where we can sweep the snow away...that certainly helps. I also have 1000w of solar on a new ground mount that charges the system dedicated to the shop. Enter a friend with a couple of spools of #8 AWG... "Use all you want," he said! So I ran from my shop to the combiner box on the cabin, added a breaker there and a 3 way switch in the shop. It's a pretty long run so I still get a good bit of line loss but full sun tests are showing ~800watts still getting to the cabin. I'll take it! Did have to put warning labels at the 3 way /combiner box to NOT RUN main array and shop array at the same time. Would be slightly over SCC voltage.

The other project was to frame in and log side the unsightly back deck framework. Also will help with fire mitigation. Still need to stain the log siding and mount the access door.

The pictures of the new log siding were taken yesterday.... the snowy one today! We are expected to get between 4" and 10" today... and we are already over 5"!
65498385731__12A2712.jpg
65498385731__12A2712.jpg
IMG_6690_resize_98.j.jpg
IMG_6690_resize_98.j.jpg
IMG_6732_resize_33.j.jpg
IMG_6732_resize_33.j.jpg
IMG_6735_resize_58.j.jpg
IMG_6735_resize_58.j.jpg

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 14:38

Another picture... east side and access door cut out.
IMG_6733_resize_17.j.jpg
IMG_6733_resize_17.j.jpg

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 15:41

Great progress!
When we got our place I was wishing the prev owner/hack 'builder' had oriented the roof to the sun. Now Im glad the array never got put up there.
I like your ground rack. Mine is very simple for 6 panels, each pair on its own 2 legs that I can move as needed/wanted. Then I do a ground screw with a cinch strap to secure. They are waayyy easy to broom off yet high enough that our ground snow never got close last winter.
What 'log siding did your use? Any tips, my wife is saying she would like me to do the whole 16x24 exterior.......after I get the new windows in.

FishHog
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 15:51

Looks really good.
My main fall project was to harvest a bear. Now that it is all in the freezer were home from the cottage other than some week to 10 day trips over the winter.

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 16:38

Thanks!

The log siding is milled at a local Amish molding shop. It's like ship lap with a radius. The gable ends of our cabin are done with it as well and you really can't see where the D-logs end and the siding begins. Goes up fast with two people. The only tip I would have is vertical end boards to butt it up against. I think they do make fake log ends for the corners but my guess is that would be $$$. For figuring purposes, this direct from the mill was ~$3/sqft.

Congratulations on the bear.... do you render the fat? Had a friend who used to try to get a bear every couple of years. He would render the fat and always give me some bear grease for my work boots.

Our wood is all in... going to help the neighbors get a load after this first snow melts.... still have to change the cable on the snowplow winch and then getbthe tracks on the Geo Tracker, but gonna wait a couple weeks for that unless winter really decides to set in!

FishHog
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 16:52

Quoting: Nobadays
do you render the fat?

Yes I do, didn't do it all, but got what I could pack out of the bush with the meat and its plenty for my use. Makes for very good pastry, never tried it for boots, as its too good to eat

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 17:13

Plan - B in action! The snow stopped after dumping about 8", cleaned the panels off and now as the sun is starting to peek out from behind the clouds, I'm harvesting +700 watts.... while my main array is still covered! Yipee!
IMG_6740_resize_74.j.jpg
IMG_6740_resize_74.j.jpg

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 17:18

Quoting: FishHog
Yes I do,

I guess it would be good for pastry! We never tried that.

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 19:21

Bear oil was a commodity on the frontier. In my rendezvous days I had to give it a go when I was gifted a bunch of black bear fat (friends wife said he Had To Get It Out Of Their Freezer!).
The fine oil that rises to the top was the best. We used it for our muzzleloaders and black powder cartridge rifles.
The middlin oil was utility and the heavy settlin's was the 'grease'
When renderin its best over an open fire in a big kettle to sit around and eat the cracklins as ya go. A little corn squeezins to chase 'cleans the palate'.

Curly
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 22:34

The other project was to frame in and log side the unsightly back deck framework.

It could not have been easy to install that log siding on the deck framework with the steeply sloping ground. Nice job! Any hints on how you did that without sliding down the hill?

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Oct 2021 22:52

Quoting: Curly
It could not have been easy to install that log siding on the deck framework with the steeply sloping ground

You noticed that! Our land is basically all hillside except where flat areas have been carved out. The view is great but working on the hillside is tough!

It wasn't easy! No hints... did slide... often! Both framing and siding were quite a task. My wife helped with the framing and after 3 days we were beat! My neighbor helped me do the siding.... he tumble down the hill once! Caught himself before injury. Took us two half days, the front was not too tough other than climbing up and down for 4 hours, we cut up top and brought the boards down. The ends... felt like you were going to fall the whole time, legs tense and on your knees for the lower boards. Glad it's done!

Nobadays
# Posted: 24 Oct 2021 11:13

Getting another project done.... well we hope to get it done before winter otherwise we will be in the mud! We are on a hillside and there wasn't even room to turn the pickup around at the cabin. We had to turn around before the driveway and back in.... same for when hauling water each week. So hired a local earth mover to dig our hillside back about 15 feet then move the overburden around the side of the cabin to build a nice sized yard. We really didn't even have a decent flat spot to put a fire pit on or any kind of yard!

He will be hauling in gravel to cover the enlarged driveway/parking area and topsoil for the side yard. Mainly want the gravel before winter other spring thaw will be a mess!

Also got in another half cord of good dry, dead standing spruce. The neighbor needed a little wood and I still had permit for a full cord. Got the woodshed filled back up from burning this fall and restacked the porch for winter.... we always clear the porch off in the spring for fire safety.

Here's some pictures
IMG_6748_resize_66.j.jpg
IMG_6748_resize_66.j.jpg
IMG_6721_resize_37.j.jpg
IMG_6721_resize_37.j.jpg
IMG_6749_resize_74.j.jpg
IMG_6749_resize_74.j.jpg
IMG_6751_resize_82.j.jpg
IMG_6751_resize_82.j.jpg

Nobadays
# Posted: 24 Oct 2021 11:15

Some more
65498377137__6E4A5A0.jpg
65498377137__6E4A5A0.jpg
IMG_6746_1.jpg
IMG_6746_1.jpg

Nobadays
# Posted: 13 Nov 2022 13:25 - Edited by: Nobadays

No major fall projects left to accomplish. Water tanks are under the cabin and filled, this years and next years wood is in. The tracks are on the Tracker and the place all cleaned up and things put away that we don't want buried under snow.

The only task left is to give the chimney a good sweep. Been waiting all morning for the stove to go out and the pipe to cool. Was thinking about going up and doing it hot, then realized I have a poly chimney brush! Thought better of doing it hot!

Edit: Chimney has been cleaned. It wasn't to bad, some creosote build up the first 18" or so from the top down. My wife was looking in the stove as I brushed out the chimney. She said once the brush hit the single wall there was very little creosote dropping. I could tell there was little resistance. Feeling good and I thing ready for winter... well will be when we get the snowmobile out of the shop next week... carb rebuild and tune.

What are you doing to be ready for winter?

gcrank1
# Posted: 14 Nov 2022 13:42

One of these days I need to pull the cowling off the old B&S on the 2 stage snow thrower....a few years ago mice made a nest in there and maybe chewed up the coil or ignition wires so I have no spark. I know, shoulda done it in July.
Trouble is I have no indoor or covered place/space to do it anymore, nor the flywheel puller, etc.
Well, maybe it wont snow much this year

Nobadays
# Posted: 19 Nov 2022 12:55

Yesterday I serviced the old Predator generator, new plug, high altitude jet , oil change and Seafoam in the fuel tank. I let it run for about an hour to make sure the treated gas (non-ethanol) was thoroughly run through the carburetor. Took the Predator out of service and put the new Westinghouse in its place. (Should have put the high altitude jet in two years ago when I got it... sure runs better now!)

Put Seafoam in my little 1500watt portable generator and ran it about 45 minutes to make sure the treated gas got through the carburetor.

Same thing with both gas chainsaws and put them in the shop attic for the winter. Still have the Makita electric handy if I need a saw.

Kind of running out of fall projects! Our weather has been horribly cold and snowy this fall. Still have a good deal of snow on north/shady areas... mostly ice under thin snow. Suppose to warm up starting tomorrow for at least 10 days. I could sure use thawed out before winter really arrives!

ICC
# Posted: 19 Nov 2022 14:45

high altitude jet
Those make a huge difference. Cganging is a slight PITA when using it at much lower altitudes part of the year. Gives one re-newed appreciation for modern EFI engine systems.

Still have a good deal of snow on north/shady areas...

We have north-facing slopes I won't see again until April, and about 1000 feet of them are short sections of my road access that winds its way up from the highway. Even with sunny days like right now and air temperatures that get above freezing (45 F right now), the overnight lows (10 F last night) maintain the snow/ice where the sun never shines. I am used to it but wish it wasn't so.

Nobadays
# Posted: 19 Nov 2022 14:59

Quoting: ICC
We have north-facing slopes I won't see again until April

Yep same but usually May/June for our place before the last north slope and shaded areas melt completely off. The North side of Cornwall Mt. usually is free of snow until July.
Cornwall Head
Cornwall Head

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.