Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Tilting solar panel mount
Gnerd
# Posted: 2 Dec 2021 14:08 - Edited by: Gnerd

I'm going to install some solar panels on a roof. The roof angle is optimized for summer, so it would be nice if I could tilt the panels up during winter. I had in mind something like this but the cost of a lot of aluminum angle for several large panels would add up real fast. Any less expensive options?

FishHog
# Posted: 2 Dec 2021 15:58

I built one on my roof from 2x3's that has two fixed settings, one for summer and one for winter. But now that I'm getting older I'm trying to minimize my need to go up on the roof, so built another one on a pole mount that rotates and tilts at any angle I want, so adjust it many times a day to face the sun and at least monthly for optimum angle. That was all from components at the local big box store

I don't have any detail pics, but its just some of the various steel components you can buy and nuts and bolts to make things adjust and lock into position.
PICT1137_20201128140.jpg
PICT1137_20201128140.jpg
Solar_mount.jpg
Solar_mount.jpg

Nobadays
# Posted: 2 Dec 2021 18:22

Anymore with the cost of solar panels way down, often it is more cost effective... and easier, to just over panel and set them at a fixed angle. We have 2200 watts when ~1200 watts should do it. We just chose the fixed angle that is basically half way between optimum summer/winter.

More important than tilt is a location that receives +5 hours of sunlight a day. If that isn't an option then definitely add extra panels configured to not go over your charge controller parameters.

gcrank1
# Posted: 2 Dec 2021 18:28 - Edited by: gcrank1

Full time place or seasonal?
This past year I optimized my fixed array for the spring & fall equinox's, not the best for summer but lots more good sun then and winter visits for us are few and short so about all the system has to do is keep the bat-bank charged.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.