Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Insulated garden hose for outdoor shower?
starchatter
# Posted: 6 Dec 2021 16:32

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and excited to chat about cabin life (and ongoing renovations). My husband and I bought a 700sf 1949 kit cabin in the Central Adirondacks 4 years ago and have been working on it ever since. It's our "vacation" spot! LOL!
One of our first improvements was to replace the old water heater with an on-demand unit, which works great. This summer, I made a DIY outdoor shower, using a garden hose connected to an outdoor spigot. I had planned on using a portable RV propane water heater to get hot water, BUT, low & behold, I realized the plumber apparently misconnected the outdoor spigot--so the outdoor water is always warm (I wondered why the water was warm when I was watering in grass seed!). The problem is that the water--even at the highest setting inside--never gets hot, just warm. Which is fine for the summer but not when it cools down into the 50s. I'm assuming it's because the water must travel through a long garden hose, losing heat along the way. So my question is--would an insulated hose or thicker hose retain the heat better? I was really looking forward to taking a hot shower outside. I'd appreciate any ideas you might have! Thank you!

FishHog
# Posted: 6 Dec 2021 16:38 - Edited by: FishHog

you could try the black foam insulation they make for water pipes. Its not all that expensive and available in every home improvement store. I would think it will take some a while for it to warm up, but then should help stay warm for your shower.

This is what I'm talking about https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Self-Seal-Pipe-Insulation-ORS 07812/204760815

starchatter
# Posted: 6 Dec 2021 16:42

Here's a photo of the shower, just behind the privacy fence. You can see the green hose sticking up!
outdoor shower
outdoor shower

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Dec 2021 20:08

Nice place!
Dont assume anything in the building. You need to find where that hose is being fed from before proceeding.

kittysmitty
# Posted: 11 Dec 2021 14:28

I think the black foam will, but I would find a way to drain the hose when not in use. When you start pumping the hot water through, the cold water in the hose will cool it down and take time to get the hot at the shower. Air is easier to heat then water

Brettny
# Posted: 11 Dec 2021 16:16

You may be pushing to much water through the heater. These things can only raise the temp so much with a specific volume of water. Have you tried slowing the water flow?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.