Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Ecotemp L5 Servicing
paulz
# Posted: 20 Feb 2022 11:49 - Edited by: paulz

Had my L5 over 5 years now, has performed well, hasn't had any servicing. Recently when I turn on the hot faucet in the sink or shower the water pump cycles on and off. Add a bit of cold and it runs continuously, as it does with the cold only. Turning off the L5 doesn't change anything.

Today I tried using the outdoor wand and hose that come with the L5, same thing. Over the years I have upgraded the pump (Flojet 3.1 gpm now), wiring and batteries so I'm not sure if that has any bearing, or if the L5 might have some restriction. My well water is not too harsh but it does have minerals. It has never frozen.

So, can I try to backflush the L5? Does it have a drain? Some cleaning agent I can run through it?

Bruces
# Posted: 20 Feb 2022 13:25

There is a drain ,it’s on the bottom near the other connections ,it’s a brass screw .I would think you could clean it out with some CLR cleaner(calcium ,lime,rust ),not sure if you have that in the states ,but it will clean out the unit for you .

gcrank1
# Posted: 20 Feb 2022 14:45

Do you fill with some of that and let it sit/soak for a while?

paulz
# Posted: 20 Feb 2022 14:54 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks Bruce. Found the drain (duh), water came out crystal clear.

I disconnected the outlet pipe from the L5, pump runs constant. Put the shower hose back on, which is T'd off right at the output, without the shower head, pump runs constantly but not consistently, slows a bit like it may shut off but doesn't. There are holes in those black rubber hose gaskets that are only about 1/4".

Just occurred to me that I just filled the water tank, which sits 20' above the cabin and pump. I normally don't even use the pump for cold water hand washing or pot filling. So I have a lot of gravity feed helping the pump output right now.

I know the Flojet pump has some adjustments, might be able to turn it down. Strange though that cold water faucets will run consistent.

Bruces
# Posted: 20 Feb 2022 17:27

I know you have moved on ,but fill the heater with the clr and let it sit a few minutes then run clean water through it .

FishHog
# Posted: 21 Feb 2022 06:01

I ran cleaning vinegar through mine. Just ab1 gal jug. Recirculating through the heater. Had the prettiest blue jug of vinegar when I was done with some sediment in the bottom
Cleaning vinegar is just double strength vinegar. Eccotemp recommends a yearly flush

paulz
# Posted: 26 Feb 2022 20:56 - Edited by: paulz

Scored a new L10 from a guy on CL, he hadn't realized it was outdoor install, though it does look it could be ducted, unlike the L5. It has an advertised flow of 3gpm, twice the L5. Hoping this will cure the pump cycling.
20220226_1741361.j.jpg
20220226_1741361.j.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 1 Mar 2022 17:35

Got the L10 installed last night, first shower today. On the plus side, much stronger stream, no pump cycling. Feels almost on par with my city house. On the downside I had to track through the cabin and outside around back a half dozen times, naked and wet, to get the knobs close to where they need to be. Sorry no photos. I'll get it, only took me about 6 years with the L5.
20220301_130916.jpg
20220301_130916.jpg

travellerw
# Posted: 1 Mar 2022 17:42

Excellent to hear.. I have an L10 sitting in my garage and I will be installing it this spring. Not looking forward to the naked knob twiddling! ;)

gcrank1
# Posted: 1 Mar 2022 17:53

I set our L5 up outside at home off the back high deck and we used the lower deck as the shower deck (when I did the only bathroom rebuild). Got it all dialed in there so it was pretty much preset from then on. Id do the same before installing an L10 to avoid the traipsin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.