Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / PVC Conduit Tee
paulz
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 11:03 - Edited by: paulz

I want to run 6g cable part way through an existing underground PVC conduit. The conduit contains a fiber optic cable I can't cut. I need my cabling to come out mid way in the conduit.

I see they make 'snap Tees' you glue or clamp on, then drill the hole in the pipe. I'd rather use a 45, or a sweep, to facilitate pulling the cable through. Thinking maybe I could take one and slice it like the snap Tees.

Whatdya think? Other options? There is no pressure in the pipe obviously, may not even be dry inside, I'll find out when I drill the hole. I don't think the fiber or any electrical I run will care.
Screenshot_2022022.png
Screenshot_2022022.png
Screenshot_2022022.png
Screenshot_2022022.png

BRADISH
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 16:51

While I like the general idea, and think it could work - I think you will find that there is a form in the plastic to stop you from inserting a pipe all the way through straight part of the 'Y'. You would likely need to use a dremel or something to waller this out a bit, although it might be a bit messy. The snap Tee won't have this seating stop built into it since it is designed specifically for the pipe to lay through it.

Sealing the Y back up afterwards may be a bit more difficult if you accomplish removing that seating surface unevenly.

Let us know what you end up doing!

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 20:05

Do an online search for that angled snap fitting, I cant imagine they are not being made. May have to vary your search question tho.....

ICC
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 20:50 - Edited by: ICC

The fitting shown above in the image labeled "Screenshot_2022022.png" is called a wye. I have seen them in a snap-on or clamp-on configuration, but in sizes meant for use in drain and waste pipes; 3 inch and bigger.

BRADISH is correct. Every std fitting I have seen are made with a shelf, a stop by reducing the internal diameter so the pipe it is being joined to does not get inserted too far, and that allows the ID to be matched.

I believe there are, or may be, rules that allow and disallow certain combinations of optic cables and current carrying wires in the same raceway or conduit. I do recall from building commercial structures which were then wired with all sorts of electrical wires and optical cables that some optical cables use a metallic jacket which precludes their use in a conduit that has NEC governed wires. And that if lube is used to pull wires/cables that some optical cables may be damaged by certain types of lubes commonly used for power wires. But that is only stuff that stuck in my mind and I may have things wrong.

ICC
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 20:55

And if you were pulling another wire through the conduit you would want to be sure it did not snag and pull on the optical cable. Optical cables meant to be pulled through conduit have a special pull wire so the optical cable is not stressed. That is a IIRC.

ICC
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 21:02 - Edited by: ICC

They are called saddle wyes or saddle tees.

paulz
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 22:03

I think you guys are right, there is a step inside those Ys. Going to the hardware store tomorrow to have a look.

I've had a 900w solar array out where the pipe is for about a month now, getting good sun there. Cables are just laying on the ground now.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 23 Feb 2022 08:47

You could try this
E486FCE66F344E2CB.jpeg
E486FCE66F344E2CB.jpeg

paulz
# Posted: 23 Feb 2022 10:30

Wow, perfect, except 4" is the smallest.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 23 Feb 2022 14:36

What size do you need

paulz
# Posted: 23 Feb 2022 20:35

Sorry 2", thought I had mentioned it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.