Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 12v water pump placement
Link44
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 16:30

I plan on placing my 330 water tank 50 ft away, uphill, from the cabin because it will be easier to get at with the truck to fill. It will sit about 3ft higher in elevation than the cabin floor. I will use a 12v pump to supply water to the cabin.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010TKMK4O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UT F8&psc=1

I know pumps like to push much more than pull. I'd like to place the pump close to the cabin and am wondering if this will be ok since I have some drop from the water tank to the pump. Also what size water line would be best so the pump always has a good supply of water?

Thanks

travellerw
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 17:08 - Edited by: travellerw

Been a long time since I calculated head pressure. Assuming your tank is 3ft tall, you should have around 3 psi at the pump with the tank full. The pump won't be pulling at all. You may want to put a valve right before the pump to bleed the air when you run the tank dry. Its a little easier than letting the pump try and remove all that air.

Now I will say, if it was me, I would never do a setup like that. Its a good way to get 330 gallons of water inside the cabin (or at least around the foundation). My system will drain back towards the tank in the event that something splits or ruptures.

Personally, you would be better off putting the tank near the cabin (slightly below) and running a line to fill it with. Think of an RV, the tanks are always under the floor!

Link44
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 17:14

I didn't think of flooding. I was thinking of ease of use and keeping 12v wires short. I may need to rethink the tank placement. This is why I ask, tunnel vision!

Thanks

ICC
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 17:26

FYI, water pressure is equal to 0.43 PSI per foot of elevation.

What is the climate? Do you need to,protect against freezing temperaures?

I chose a spherical tank that could be buried because of freezing temperatures. If so and you want more info, ask.

travellerw
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 18:01

Quoting: Link44
I was thinking of ease of use and keeping 12v wires short.

One more thing to think about.. They make those pumps in 120V versions(I remember your 12V/120V post). They are pretty low draw @ 120V so you don't really have to worry about wire length. The 120V version costs just a bit more (maybe $30-40).

paulz
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 18:22 - Edited by: paulz

My tank is 20' above my cabin. I have a shutoff valve at the cabin, and turn the water off when I'm not there. If it were to spring a leak it would run down to the French drain along the hillside prior to the cabin, where the rain runs off both the hillside and cabin roof. I suppose if the tank ruptured or something it would flood the crawlspace under the cabin. That did happen under a very heavy storm back in October, first time the cabin has had water underneath. Didn't do any damage.

Anyway, my pump is under the cabin, screwed to a girder. It's just loud enough to know it's running but not offensive.

On the plus side the pump is always primed, I get enough gravity feed to wash hands, fill the toilet, wash dishes, without running the pump. Also have a T outside the cabin for an outside sink and garden hose, also gravity feed.

Link44
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 20:38

Quoting: ICC
What is the climate? Do you need to,protect against freezing temperaures?

Right now the climate is under 3 ft of snow. This will be a 7 or 8 months a year cabin for us. Last summer I had the water tank up there to keep our travel trailer supplied with water. At the end of our camping season, late October, I drained it and brought it home. I don't think this will ever be a FT place for us but being able to leave the tank in place would be nice. Right now I have 1 of those tanks with the steel cage around it. Probably not a good candidate to bury. The influx in pot growers here have made the larger round water tanks scarce.

Getting 403 denied so we'll try this differently

Link44
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 20:39

Quoting: travellerw
The 120V version costs just a bit more (maybe $30-40).

I already have the 12v pump but you're right it would not be a large investment to switch as it would give me more options.

Link44
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 20:43

Quoting: paulz
On the plus side the pump is always primed, I get enough gravity feed to wash hands, fill the toilet, wash dishes, without running the pump.

That would be nice. More food for thought.

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 21:07

How about putting the tank on the shady side of the cabin, neatly done, out of the algae encouraging sun and 4' above the cabin floor? Same or better water 'pre-pressure', closer for hose and wiring, maybe not to difficult to pump water into from whatever you haul in with.
Also, I remember seeing online pics of an ibc tote on ground level surrounded by a rustic 'board fence'. Looked good.

Link44
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 21:19

Quoting: gcrank1
How about putting the tank on the shady side of the cabin, neatly done, out of the algae encouraging sun and 4' above the cabin floor? Same or better water 'pre-pressure', closer for hose and wiring, maybe not to difficult to pump water into from whatever you haul in with.

When the snow melts I'll be back up there giving it another look. Shade isn't a problem, the property will take a life time to thin. We have cleared out enough for the cabin with just a little breathing room all the way around.

That might be good, an elevated platform that can carry 3k lbs of water on the shady low side of the cabin. If something burst the water would still run away from the cabin. Now if we can figure how to insulate it and not have to haul it home at the end of the season we'd be in there! Maybe it needs it's own cabin to live in.

Link44
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 21:24

This is our purposed cabin site.
Cabin site
Cabin site

gcrank1
# Posted: 22 Feb 2022 23:28 - Edited by: gcrank1

Insulated but above ground without heat will still freeze, it just takes it a little longer to once the temp drops.
Then once it starts to warm it takes longer to thaw out, just like using an insulated cup to keep your chilled drink cold.
Ive got a longish drain hose to dump most of our rain barrel well away from the cabin. We just have to remember to bring more water for utility on last season visits.

Brettny
# Posted: 23 Feb 2022 08:32

Why would you haul an empty water tank home every year?

Our system is mostly gravety feed. It's an IBC tote 30ft (vertically) up hill and runs down hill via 200ft of 1in black poly. I can say that if your going to keep the tank at it's current location burry it, even if it's a few inches. This helps keep the squirrels, mice and other rodents from chewing it. It helps with early/late season frost too.

Do all your valves in metal if you can. Rodents like to chew my pvc valves.

Link44
# Posted: 23 Feb 2022 14:35

Quoting: Brettny

Why would you haul an empty water tank home every year?

I wasn't sure how it would do with feet if snow on the tank. It was in a temporary spot so I didn't build it a cover. When I figure out a permanent location it will have a cover, drained and left for the winter. Good thought on metal valves.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Feb 2022 17:47

Quoting: Link44
Now if we can figure how to insulate it and not have to haul it home at the end of the season we'd be in there! Maybe it needs it's own cabin to live in.

A spherical tank buried with some sheet insulation laid over the top, horizontal in the ground and above the tank works for us. A small insulated cube over the manhole access extension and cover just in case access is needed.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.