Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Spring Micro Hydro
TheRealPapaK
# Posted: 23 Feb 2022 15:23

Hello Everyone. I have bought a property that I plan on building a cabin to live in while I renovate my current house so I can sell it as well as live in while I build my new house. I will be completely off grid in the cabin and the new house but being that I live at 55N, I only have about 6 hours of daylight in the middle of winter so some hydro to offset that would be nice. I have done solar setups before and I am comfortable with all of that but I have the potential to have a small micro hydro system with some springs that are on the property.

The property is on a river valley that has 200' of elevation change. about 60' down the bank I have a sand seam with three springs that are producing about 0.5 lps (5 gpm) of water each. I am thinking of tying these three springs together to get a total of 15gpm. If I can get 15gpm at 125' of head I should be able to get 250w at 80v 24/7 which would be pretty nice.

By tying them together at the top of the elevation, I will probably lose about 20' of head. Does anyone know if I'm better off tying them all together a little lower and running one penstock to the hydro generator? Or should I run three penstocks down to the generator to maximize the head pressure?

Penstock side note, I will probably use 3" HDPE pipe. Even though it's overkill, there is some coming up at the auction I can get for pennies on the dollar. Unless anyone has a reason why I shouldn't use it?

I have attached a picture to show everyone what I'm dealing with.

Picture Legend
Blue Stars: 5GPM springs
Purple Stars: Evedence of springs that could be opened up
Cyan Line: Current road
Dotted Cyan: Future road
Red: Penstocks if I combined them as it went down the hill
Green: Penstocks if I combined them up top to one point.

If anyone has any experience or advice, I'm all ears.
Overview
Overview

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.