Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Where to find (copper or brass battery studs )
gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 16:38

Some hard copper or brass (ideally) studs for my battery post holes.
4ct of 8mm x 1.25 x 7/8th" to 1" long (I can cut heads off)
And
8ct copper flat washers with 8mm hole
The soft alum lugs in the battery box have a threaded hole in each that will wear with each turn out/in, 'studs' left in and a nut used will keep those holes from potentially stripping out.
The copper or brass will have better conductivity than steel.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 16:54

https://www.mcmaster.com/
They will have metric brass threaded rods but you will probably have to buy a 1 meter length

ICC
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 16:57

The question then would be how to secure them in the battery threaded lug. I wonder how much conductivity would be affected by using threadlock?

ICC
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 16:59

Myself, I would be happy with stainless steel studs, washers and nuts. I have used S/S fasteners in all my battery connections for years and years. S/S fasteners and copper buss bars where needed.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 17:28

Idea: Use threaded rod, or a cut off bolt, threaded into battery and locked in place with a nut tightened against battery lug.

Idea: There are machine screws made that have a hollow internally threaded hole. I have used S/S ones with a hex head. Not sure of the proper name or a source just off hand.

Idea: There are also studs with a hex nut machined as a part of the unit. Called a "hex collar machine screw stud", or something like that.

ICC
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 17:30

I have found many different and sometimes odd, metric fasteners on aliexpress.com. Their internal search engine sometimes sucks but if it is made in China they should have them.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 17:40 - Edited by: gcrank1

They say over at diysolarforum.com that the real contact is made flat on the boss rather than the 'fastener'; ie, not really any contact made on a ring terminal on that tiny inner dia. of the hole. Makes sense yet dont I remember seeing copper/bronze? lugs on old starter solenoids?
And that nice copper washers can be made of real copper pennys. Guess I'll dig through my old penny jar. That will be far cheaper than buying copper washers!
The integral nut/stud or a nut all the way down on the battery boss would limit that surface contact of a ring terminal also.

paulz
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 17:48

The lugs on some starter solenoids are copper because they make contact with the moving copper ring inside the solenoid. The nuts are sometimes brass, sometimes plain steel.

My Valance batteries have large flat surfaces around the threaded holes, stainless steel. I just use zinc plated bolts, the zinc plated copper cable lugs sit flat on those surfaces.

Brettny
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 19:48

If it must be soft I would use brass bolts. If it has to be a stud buy brass bolts and nuts.

If your really going to wear a stud/thread out because your taking it on and off that much I would put a plug on it. Anderson style plugs are prety good.

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 20:20

I havent found a ready source for metric brass bolts yet, in fact, a couple years ago I had a terrible time finding real, not plated, 1/4"x20 bolts.
I have an Anderson 50 plug harness on each LFP, but not on ALL my other 'attachments', and prefer ring term's to spades so I have to remove the male bat bolts rather than just back 'em off.
Clamps are easy but not all that good
What Im trying to avoid is the dreaded bat boss strip out requiring a heli-coil or oversize D/T fix. The 'stud' is often used in machinery for similar reasons.
Btw, Id like 8mm x 1.25 wing-nuts too. Talk about wanting unicorns!

ICC
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 21:27

Quoting: gcrank1
8mm x 1.25 wing-nuts

ebay

aliex

amazon

gcrank1
# Posted: 23 Mar 2022 23:09

Well, I did ask, didnt I.
Just a quick running total for 'the stuff' in quantities closest to 4 'studs', 8 washers and 4 wing nuts and Im at about $30; thats $7 & change each! Seems more than a bit much.....
Guess it'll be cut heads off some readily available metric steel bolts, pre-'82 pennys for washers and plain old nuts.

gcrank1
# Posted: 24 Mar 2022 14:06

Done deal as per above. $1.80 for aa 8x1.25 bolt long enough to make the 2 studs, nuts from my mc parts box.
Gotta say I like the 'sturdiness' of the studs.
Next I have to make/mod something into stud caps to prevent an accidental sparking across the exposed terminals. FLA bats can take that, LFP can die from it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.