Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Propane Patio Heater Troubleshoot
paulz
# Posted: 27 Mar 2022 14:58

Trying to get this old Benzomatic heater going. You're supposed to push the knob down and turn to Ignite, which I take it auto lights it. Nothing happening. I have a fresh battery and 1.5V coming out of the battery compartment. Beyond that, I'm pretty ignorant on propane devices.

The two black wires coming out of the battery compartment, at bottom of photo, go to a little square gizmo on the valve just under the knob. The other orange wire coming out goes up into the burn chamber area. Then there is the ground wire hanging there. I don't know if there is an internal connection inside that box, it is sealed.

The other little component has that white sheathed wire going to the bottom of the valve, and the red wire going up to the burn area.

I suppose one of these goes to a thermocouple? I don't mind lighting it with a torch if there is a way to bypass the auto ignition.

Any help?
20220327_113330.jpg
20220327_113330.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Mar 2022 16:10

Crack that ferrel on the hose to make sure your actualy getting gas. Then work forward from there.

paulz
# Posted: 27 Mar 2022 17:34

Good idea, did that, got gas. I was able to get it going some by holding a torch in the access hole to the burn area. It will hold a weak pilot flame and light the rest weakly as long as I hold the button down. Let it up and it quits.

But that's something..
20220327_1416481.j.jpg
20220327_1416481.j.jpg
20220327_141655_Burs.jpg
20220327_141655_Burs.jpg

paulz
# Posted: 27 Mar 2022 19:19

Well I got it going. Disconnected both those aluminum tubes and sprayed brake clean through. Still no auto light but that's fine.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Mar 2022 20:00

The flame looks prety orange for propane. Is there an air inlet that's got and adjustment? Do you have another propane regulator/hose with that same fitting on the end? I kind of suspect the regulator.

paulz
# Posted: 27 Mar 2022 21:01

Yeah that was before I cleaned out those jets. It was better but I'll try it again tomorrow.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Mar 2022 22:34

Could the module be a tip over safety device, should it be mounted? Maybe is thinks its tipped over and turning it off?

paulz
# Posted: 27 Mar 2022 23:21

Could be. It was mounted, I took it out to see the wiring. It's just held in by a big nut on the battery door.

It's actually raining here! Otherwise I'd be out there playing with it.

paulz
# Posted: 13 Jun 2022 16:52 - Edited by: paulz

OK I've moved on to the second of the three patio heaters I drug home. I actually cut the scapped the third one, a bit of a revelation for me but it was pretty rusty.

Anyway this one here I can't get to light. It doesn't have a pilot light far as I can tell. There's an ignitor, then there is this circuit connected to the gas valve. A thermocouple and a tip over switch. So somehow they tell the valve to go on, and stay on unless tipped over, I guess. Does the end where it screws in get heated by the thermocouple? Anyone familiar with this setup?
sw_2.JPG
sw_2.JPG

paulz
# Posted: 20 Jun 2022 11:38 - Edited by: paulz

So I figured out the goings on and got the heater working. There is no pilot light, since I guess being a patio heater you just use it or don't, you don't leave it sitting there on a pilot light. The thermocouple in the pic above generates enough electricity (surprisingly), to lift a seal open inside the valve, allowing gas to pass through. Pushing the control knob in also pushes the same seal open, thus you light it and hold the button in until the thermocouple takes over, as usual. The control knob regulates low to high settings, also as usual.

My propane educations continues..

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.