Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar post light
darz5150
# Posted: 6 Apr 2022 00:52

Last summer I got some new post mount solar lights to replace the 3 - 4 year old ones.
One was totally shot. The batteries in both of them were crapped out. The other ones solar panel is very hazy.
Anyhoos, I put a dollar general or dollar tree battery in it. Not rechargeable. I put the light on a post behind my shop where I've got extra parking to prevent someone clipping my shop when backing out.
It has worked since last summer and all winter long very well. Today was mostly overcast and rainy, with not much sun. It was still on when I came in from the shop @ 11 pm Midwest time.
Don't know the how or why a cheap non rechargeable battery would work in a worn out light. But before you toss out your solar lights. You might want to try it.

gcrank1
# Posted: 6 Apr 2022 10:29

We used to get a new set of the walkway solar lights about every other year. I'd pull apart all those that fail and often find ants had nested inside. Most pop apart pretty easy.
Clean everything up inside, especially the bat contacts, polish off the tiny solar panel, swap in the best bats from a junk light, charge the bat and get more use. Last time I used some dielectric grease at the bat contacts. That pair of lights has been running fine for the past two years even sitting out all winter!

DartNorth
# Posted: 8 Apr 2022 13:16

Quoting: gcrank1
Last time I used some dielectric grease at the bat contacts.

Oh. That's a great Idea. Thanks for that.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.