Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar setup?
Dirk
# Posted: 11 Apr 2022 20:08

Newbie to solar here. We have a hunting cabin that is completely wired and runs off generator. We're wanting to get a small system to only run a few lights and a television (i think it's 46") during the day so we don't have to fire up the generator. Any suggestions on individual pieces or complete system appreciated!

Brettny
# Posted: 11 Apr 2022 20:19

How many lights at how many watts? Hoe many watts is the TV?

Nobadays
# Posted: 11 Apr 2022 20:47

Quoting: Dirk
Any suggestions on individual pieces or complete system appreciated!

You can find "blueprints" for different sized systems at diysolarforum.com

Dirk
# Posted: 11 Apr 2022 20:49

Maybe 3 lights. All would be led. Not sure on the tv wattage. Google says around 150 watts.

Dirk
# Posted: 11 Apr 2022 20:49

Thank you Nobadays!

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Apr 2022 20:50 - Edited by: gcrank1

What latitude are you at?
Do you have good to excellent sun exposure at or very near the cabin?
Do you use it in the winter?
How many days/nights do you typically go for?

Dirk
# Posted: 11 Apr 2022 20:57

Located in Oklahoma. Lots of sun. Cabin is mainly used in the fall and spring for hunting and the occasional getaways here and there. Only need the system to run the tv during the day for 2-3 hours just so we don't have to listen to the generator.

gcrank1
# Posted: 11 Apr 2022 22:59 - Edited by: gcrank1

That is 'small scale', maybe not unlike mine that has been working well for the past two years.
The diysolarforum.com is a great resource but one can hit overload pretty quick as a newbie; still worth visiting and learning to navigate around there.
Fwiw, I have 4 led 120vac 9w bulbs and 1 13w. We rarely use more than 1 at a time, sometimes 2 briefly, but have them placed around so we can have good light wherever we need; they draw so little I only factor 1a per hour for lights.
Fans! We are in WI and summers can get hot and humid. Im going to guess in OK you would too? Smallish window size box fans work pretty well for us though we do have a cheap ceiling fan in the cathedral ceiling that draws more. I like the box fans more.
Btw, if you want air conditioning run the gen, solar for that will be Big Money.
We have a small older tube tv/vhs player combo; it hasn't been used in the daytime, is nice now and then for a movie of a night.
And an am/fm radio.
Not much power gets used of a day off the solar and bats, and fact is during a day with sun any use would be powered by the array/solar charge control (scc)/pure sine wave inverter (psw). Note, only get a psw inverter NOT a modified sw.
The bats are for when the sun doesnt shine.
So you figure your Watts use for 24hrs and double it. Pay attention to when your times of use are.
You size the bat-bank for at least 2 days, pref 3 for when the sun dont shine (bad, rainy/overcast days).
You size the solar array to charge the bat-bank every day, pref by early aft., from the prev nights use (the only time it is drawing off the bats.
We have done ok with just one 12v 100ah battery but 200ah is better. That is usable ah's (amp hours). Note that from a typical 100ah 'marine/rv' so called deep cycle battery only 50ah's MAX is usable, pref 25-30 (or you Kill the battery(s).
So, to get 200ah's you need 4 x 100ah 'marine' bats.
Next step 'up' is real deep cycle golf cart bats.
Best is LFP, pricey, Many more cycles/longer life and a 100ah bat has 100 usable! This is what Im (happily) using now.
My set up has run on as little as 400W (4 x 100W panels) and the full set is 6 for 600W. I consider the 400W the min.
Some folks with a few led lights, usb charger, a radio and maybe a tool recharger can get by on one 100ah bat and 200W of array, a few with less but that gets down to bare-bones.
Please, do yourself a favor and Do Not Start buying components until you have a real plan. Not all stuff plays well together.
There is mucchhh more......

travellerw
# Posted: 12 Apr 2022 10:52 - Edited by: travellerw

If you are only staying for weekends or long weekends, then it sounds perfect for a power station solution.

Look for a portable power station of at least 500-600wh. Jackery, Bluetti or ECOFLOW make well reviewed units. If you add a 100-200W solar panel(s) that will extend the run time significantly. You don't have to buy a matching brand of panels either. All units can take any brand of solar panel(s) as long as it meets the specs the unit requires.

Sure, this solution will costs slightly more than a pure DIY solar setup... BUT <-- BIG BUT! it doesn't require the steep learning curve (inverters, solar controllers, battery charger, wiring, ect ect). You simply buy 2 devices (the power station and a solar panel) and are good to go. All the components are already built in and work together %100

Note, many of the units can be recharged to %80 in just 1 hour. So even if you run out of power, you only have to listen to the generator for 1 hour!

gcrank1
# Posted: 12 Apr 2022 14:05 - Edited by: gcrank1

I was even thinking that if the stays are only up to 3 days, with 2 nights, most of the time that one 12v, 100ah LFP (that is 1200ish W) and a 300-500W psw inverter and its good to go.
Then all you need to charge it is an LFP friendly battery charger to run off the gen whenever you would chance to have it running. No solar needed at all.
Then take that battery home to fully charge between visits.
That is actually what I am doing right now since Im re-furbing my solar.
To me it is better than those All In One (aio) units that tend to have a pretty high 'idle' draw even when you arent really running anything.
Aio or
Battery
Psw inverter
Charger
You already have the gen
Someday, at your convenience you can still add in solar but for now it would be quick, easy and functional.

Brettny
# Posted: 12 Apr 2022 14:54

Quoting: Dirk
fall and spring for hunting and the occasional getaways here and there. Only need the system to run the tv during the day for 2-3 hours just so we don't have

Just buy a portable battery pack and charge it at home or via the generator. Few hours a day and a few weekends a year it just makes sence. There getting cheaper and cheaper now. Ontop of that theres no risk the system will be stolen because it will be brought home.

Steve_S
# Posted: 12 Apr 2022 15:58 - Edited by: Steve_S

The DIYSolarForum is one of the best places to get help & learn about building & setting up your own Solar System and related bits. It's a large global community and a great bunch of folks helping everyone everywhere.
https://diysolarforum.com/

This link below is to the DIYS Forum Owners Website (Will Prowse) and here are plans and instructions for really small to larger cabin/home installations. MANY Weekenders go for the "Milk Crate" portable type systems

https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/

Example of a MilkCrate system:
https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/640wh-milk-crate-system.html

A quick set of numbers to help you along. Making the assumption that you can use 120VAC and do not require 240VAC. We typically discourage drawing more than 200A from a battery but CAP at 250A for safety & common sense.
12V@250A = 3000W. 3000W÷120V=25A
24V@250A = 6000W. 6000W÷120V=50A
* Uncorrected for inneficiencies & losses.

BTW: I am 100% Off Grid. 24V LiFePO4 Battery Bank (30kWh) with a Samlex EVO 4000W Pure Sine Low Frequency Inverter that outputs only 120VAC. I run my house off this, my Well Pump is 280' deep pushing to 50 Gallon Pressure Tank. Guess what, it can even run my Mig Welder & 3HP Air Compressor with no issues. (NB, Samlex is Tier-1 $$$ product)

Hope it helps, Good Luck.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.